Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help on super chargers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:35 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Help on super chargers

What is better ? A vortech, pro chargers, and x charger. Is turbo better? I have always wanted a procharger cause it "says" you get to the 400's to the flywheel. I dunno so i wanted to what was good. I am on a budget and currently saving. Also if the x charger is the way to go should i get the intercooler and what is water meth injection? Also what do i need before i get one. I know i need a t-lok or what ever it is. I just have gears in my car. So thats my main question what do i need for my car before installation and what brand/type should i get. Thanks
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I'm not trying to be an *** I promise.
There are quite a few new threads in the 4.0 section over superchargers right now.
So you might want to check those out.

It seems the main things you will need besides the FI is an 8.8 rear if you don't already have it.

All of the different superchargers have different purposes.
The X-Charger produces lower end torque and the Vortech produces power at higher RPMs (to the best of my knowledge, I'm just getting into this FI information.)
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I figured that was coming, i know your not being a *** i understand. I just wanted some stright foward answers, believe me i am reading everything i can. I didnt see much about the pro chargers though thats why i was asking.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Idk why the Prochargers are hardly brought up in that big debate.
Maybe they are quite a bit more expensive or something.

Maybe one of the Procharger guys will come on here.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:12 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I was hoping one would but the pro charger is $4200 i think which is cheaper than the extreme x charger and about the same as the reg x charger. I kept reading i may lean towards a reg x charger since it goes well with stock internals and last a good while with a long lasting engine. I just dont understand chargers period, what i read on here is all i know. I am excited though
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM
JimC

As far as the rear end - the WORST modding decision I ever made was trying to build the 7.5" rear end. I spent more on that than a new take off 8.8. I broke the 7.5 with just a tune, CAI, and a set of drag radials. You will be money ahead to just swap the 8.8 in to begin with.

As far as "which is better" - that is a relative question. It depends upon what you are looking for. For me and my wants, the Xcharger Xtreme was the choice. But if I was looking for all out ET then I'd go with the turbo. Don't get hung up on the dyno numbers when you make your decision; all that does is give you a sheet to compare like the ricers. If what you want is a good set of dyno numbers then you are probably back to the turbo. Each of the forced induction kits has qualities that will make it the "better" choice for a given application and goals of the owner.

The meth kits add water and meth (most use the windshield washer solution because the mix is correct) to cool the intake air charge, raise the octane a little, and the car can be tuned more aggressively. With the Xcharger though you have to spray before the rotors and the meth will strip the coating off the rotors - and I have seen one roots style blower where the rotors were not just stripped, but they had pitted as well. So if you go with the Xcharger then get the Xtreme and avoid the meth kit - besides, if you get the Xtreme then you don't have to worry about "did I fill the meth tank, did it run out on me, is it spraying enough or too much" in addition to the fact it will strip the rotors. The Xtreme cooling is always there.

When it comes to racing there are too many variables. I have one friend with the pro charger and he admits that based upon the dyno sheets he should beat me every time, yet he has never beat me heads up or comparing time slips - and he says it is all in the driver in our case. Two other friends have Vortechs - and one has beat me and the other hasn't. Again, comes down to the driver.

Last edited by JimC; 06-02-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 PM
FsuGoNoles63
2nd Gear Member

Im stuck between Vortech and the X. I like how the Vortech is almost 3,000 bucks cheaper than the X but my only concern is that the power doesnt come in until higher rpms. Is that bad if my car is an auto?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Just throwing this out there, mustangcollective.com has a lot of good information over the performance end of our Mustangs. If you really want to get some good information with out a lot of the arguing go over there. I have learned A LOT and I've only been on there a few weeks.

Disclaimer, I love MF too. Just for different things.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Some of this material is a little dated but here is a good place to start:
http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=167
Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 AM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, i deffently understand alot mpore on forced induction from reading old forums and this one. I still wanna do some more research on the procharger but as of right now the x charger xtreme is my pick. I would like to go faaster, and have more of a bang, but most of all i just want a bad *** stang the looks mean and aso drives mean.

Quick Reply: Help on super chargers