Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Motor Swap General Consensus

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

I am working on my engine 4.0 SOHC build now. It got delayed due to a cracked block and a couple of broken pistons. The tooling is done and first article parts in hand to install the MP1900 TVS supercharger on this build. It should be done in a couple of months. It has been like pulling teeth trying to round up everything too put this together and doing research to make sure nothing is missed to make this one strong build. Good thing I have an over abundance of patience. LOL
Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by beaustang
What is your budget? The options you present range from $5k+ to $25k+++, that's a hell of a range, do you have that kind of cash to drop into a car that's worth maybe $15k on a good day? No matter what option you choose you will lose money on resale, it's just a matter of how much. Why not just sell the one you have and buy a used GT500?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

well let us know what you wind up deciding. I was always thinking i would just supercharge my v6 once i got the money...but for some reason, i woke up this morning and had a strong desire to drop in a v8. then i started thinking about dropping in a 5.4 so that i would be somewhat justified in not just selling and getting a gt. my car means too much to me to just sell for something with more power. anywho, i dont know anything about engine swaps as this starts to get wayyy more involved than what im used to, but i'm gonna start doing research as well to see what all it would entail, and how much it would cost. if i did do it (which wouldnt be anytime soon), itd probably be a 4.6 instead of a 5.4 because of price. That's alot of yards to mow haha
Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
I don't think OP is concerned about resale...
his car is modded out now, and has quite a bit done to it. At the point he's at, i wouldn't want to get rid of what I have either..
OP sounds like the type that will have and improve this car multiple times throughout the years as opposed to buying a new car.
yeah haha not really concerned with a budget this will be an over time project, right now I think i decided to sit and wait to see what comes of the TVS X and what kind of power it puts down for the money along with the durability of the stock internals with the kit.

It sounds like the best option now would be getting the TVS X and pushing the 6 to its limits with rods, pistons, heads and cams, and dual fuel pumps. Maybe run that for awhile and wait til it decides to go or til im tired of it, then maybe find a wrecked 5.8 and see what i can swap over into the s197. It would be a ton of work but i think by that time id find a cheap-o daily driver haha

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
I am working on my engine 4.0 SOHC build now. It got delayed due to a cracked block and a couple of broken pistons. The tooling is done and first article parts in hand to install the MP1900 TVS supercharger on this build. It should be done in a couple of months. It has been like pulling teeth trying to round up everything too put this together and doing research to make sure nothing is missed to make this one strong build. Good thing I have an over abundance of patience. LOL
Sorry Nice Pony I was trying to keep it on the DL haha, but its such a great potential for our cars, I cant wait to see the results and what kind of kit comes from this

Originally Posted by aerbourne
well let us know what you wind up deciding. I was always thinking i would just supercharge my v6 once i got the money...but for some reason, i woke up this morning and had a strong desire to drop in a v8. then i started thinking about dropping in a 5.4 so that i would be somewhat justified in not just selling and getting a gt. my car means too much to me to just sell for something with more power. anywho, i dont know anything about engine swaps as this starts to get wayyy more involved than what im used to, but i'm gonna start doing research as well to see what all it would entail, and how much it would cost. if i did do it (which wouldnt be anytime soon), itd probably be a 4.6 instead of a 5.4 because of price. That's alot of yards to mow haha
Yeah it seems like i will be supercharging the v6 just because it is unique and its always entertaining knowing that a 6 can beat an 8 lol, i also figured that trading in for a GT is so much of a pain for me now because of all the custom work that Ive done from the stereo, suspension, body parts, and what not to swap back into another car.

Last edited by Stang-aholic; 12-18-2011 at 09:45 PM.