Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

so what CAI would you guys recommend...I've had K&N's and AirRaid in the past...then I read that K&N's can actually be harmful if they are not recharged correctly and Air Raids were just good for sound.

Also, Joshspony, how many times should I do this to the throttle for it to work?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Chose a CAI based on what looks good to your eyes and wallet; they're all equivalent in performance. But I'd recommend the Steeda, JLT or C&L as my personal favorites. And ANY oiled filter can cause harm if not properly cleaned. Fortunately, cleaning and reoiling is pretty simple (if not time consuming; I give the filter a good 12-24 hours to dry before reoiling).

The throttle recal procedure should work the 1st time. If you don't feel a change after the 1st, try it again. But the new tune should also resolve throttle response issues.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Not to jack the thread, but Nuke could you elaborate on the CAI maintenance a lil? Cleaning procedures, materials, is it worth it to buy a second filter and rotate them?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

^^ I bought a K&N Recharge kit from Pepboys. I clean/reoil when the filter starts to look dirty. I forget what the suggest mileage interval is
Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I have an Airaid CAI (no tune required) and only felt minimal power difference in higher RPMS, until I loaded my custom Brenspeed tunes! The custom tune is what adds most of the power. I am very pleased with my Brenspeed custom tunes and pass emmissions with no problems. =-)
Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 AM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Hey Sean, I live in Pace and work out of Pensacola. Welcome to the forums. Definatly get a tune / CAI.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CoupeKiller
so what CAI would you guys recommend...I've had K&N's and AirRaid in the past...then I read that K&N's can actually be harmful if they are not recharged correctly and Air Raids were just good for sound.

Also, Joshspony, how many times should I do this to the throttle for it to work?
As Nuke said, if it doesn't work do it again. I usually do it 3 times just to make sure.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

how will I know when it works, will it be a massive change? or subtle? Xenocide, I bought the mustang from a dealer in pensacola..I'm actually headed there this weekend to hit the mall for Christmas shopping. I live in crestview and just got here from Ft. Bragg NC..I moved with the 7th Special Forces Group, kinda having a hard time finding a good speed shop here as no one will do ANYTHING aftermarket in crestview. Only thing I can do is maybe drive it into S&S customs in Ft. Walton..heard anything about them?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 AM
SuperNac
1st Gear Member

Sean, welcome to Crestview, the forums, and to mustang ownership. I used to live down in Shalimar when I was stationed at Eglin ... 60FTS FTW!!! ... to bad they are shut down now. Definitively get a CAI and tunes. The only thing that has kept me from doing that was I was planning on an engine swap but I'm selling my car next year anyway to make room for a raptor in my garage.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Hi Sean and thanks for your service!

Best to get an oversized CAI w/ tune specific for that CAI (e.g. Steeda, C&L, JLT, etc. as mentioned already). you will get the MOST out of each component.

if you can't afford the combo (although it's a much better deal overall), get the tuner w/ custom tunes first. The CAI alone will not perform to any significant level. you will feel quicker throttle response at best.

think of it like this... the custom tune is the pie, the CAI is the topping.

the tune is what's important and the CAI makes it better. hope this helps. good luck with your new stang!