Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A little help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:43 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

Default A little help

OK, so I'm getting a list of things together of the mods I'm looking at doing. I talked to a friend of mine who is a mustang owner as well..he has a 09 GT, he said I should do an aftermarket ford racing manifold along with some other ones, but thing is, I can't seem to find a ford racing manifold for my 2010 V6...I can only find them for GTs...any chances one of you may know where to look?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I've never seen any manifolds for a V6. They must not even make any.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:10 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Are you sure he wasn't talking about a cold air intake?

Or perhaps Exhuast manifold? If exhaust he probably meant headers, which IMO are NOT really worth the extra price tag. Barely 5-10 hp for what you are paying.

You are better off with a tuner, and a CAI (usually come in a combo at americanmuscle.com). Then do gears, generally with those you want to upgrade your rear end from the stock 7.5 to an 8.8 or so. Cheaper in the long run (the rear end will take more power) and you can find some with the gears you already want and a tlok to give you power to both wheels.

But first and foremost, CAI/tune. But if you really want headers, I am sure someone could give you a link to some reputable ones (ie JBA) that other members have used. I have no personal experience with them so I cannot recommend any, sorry.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

1. CAI
2. XCT3 handheld tuner
3. Exhaust
4. throttlebody and spacer
5.upgraded manifold (ford racing)

that's the list he said..he said that's what he did and got about another 75 HP out of it. granted he has a GT. question is, if they don't make the V6 one, can I get the GT one and upgrade the Throttle body to fit? the only difference I see is the space for the throttle body.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Pop's Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CoupeKiller
1. CAI
2. XCT3 handheld tuner
3. Exhaust

that's the list he said..he said that's what he did and got about another 75 HP out of it. granted he has a GT. question is, if they don't make the V6 one, can I get the GT one and upgrade the Throttle body to fit? the only difference I see is the space for the throttle body.
+1 This list is the way to go!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

Now what is the purpose of running exhaust if I'm already running straight pipes
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

No purpose if you are satisfied with the straits lol.

The throttlebody/spacer is an expensive paper weight, don't do it. Actual gains are non-existant. I still do not know what he means by a "manifold" but I am guessing he means headers, as they are basically an aftermarket manifold I believe. But again, I doubt headers will give you any major performance as a starting mod, especially for the price you will be paying.

Stick with the CAI/tune, and look into gears as those are sure fire ways of getting some solid performance. After gears, you can monkey around with some of the smaller power adders, but IMO a tlok and gears are most important right now if you are going for pure speed.

Me personally? I have a limited budget, so I am starting with some lower control arms/upper (helps launch, wheel hop, back end stability in turns/bumps) then working up past that to maybe lowering (costly). But mostly sticking to that, unless I can find a deal on a one piece drive shaft as I dislike the wobble my car gets around 110-120.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:54 AM
JimC

1. CAI
2. XCT3 handheld tuner
3. Exhaust
4. throttlebody and spacer ONLY IF YOU LIKE AN EXPENSIVE PAPER WEIGHT - NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY!
5.upgraded manifold (ford racing) WHAT DOES YOUR FRIEND MEAN WHEN HE SAYS "MANIFOLD"? GET HIM TO CLARIFY

that's the list he said..he said that's what he did and got about another 75 HP out of it. (DYNO PROVEN GAIN OR 'BUTT DYNO' GAIN?) granted he has a GT. question is, if they don't make the V6 one, can I get the GT one and upgrade the Throttle body to fit? the only difference I see is the space for the throttle body.
GT engine parts won't fit the V6.

What you want is a CAI and Xcal tuner with tunes (get the combo kit from a place like American Muscle or one of the other vendors). If you already have dual exhaust then you are set. You can get headers, but they don't add much to the 4.0 besides sound, especially if you are naturally aspirated.

I would go:

1. CAI and Xcal (don't get the 'no tune required' CAI, they don't add anything but looks)
2. Dual exhaust if you don't already have it
3. HotPart LCA's
Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

1. CAI
2. XCT3 handheld tuner
3. Exhaust

How much of a gain are we looking at with these?
CAI/Tune = 20-25hp.
But how about the others? Anyone got an approximate?

Also, the Ford Racing manifold, any got a link to this? Or pics?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 PM
JimC

CoupeKiller - I think that the problem is you are talking to your friend with a GT and he is assuming that everything is also available for the V6. There is a FRPP manifold for the GT, but not for the V6. Your only choice on the V6, unless you go custom, is the cold air intake and tune.

You can do a custom intake, but you will still need at least a tune and probably the CAI. RampantRacing over at the Collective made his own manifold, and it has chambers in it for dry ice to really cool the intake air down at the track. One other person was working on an intake, but I haven't seen his yet.