Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 Convertible Handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

All things being equal, a convertible will not handle better than a hardtop, no matter who builds the car. You are taking away stiffness by removing the top, so you need to add it back into the frame of the car. That is why convertibles weigh more than mustang coupes. I have had several convertibles, and recently switched to a hardtop. I gave my convertible to my daughter, so if I need to feel the wind in my hair, I borrow her's.

Ford racing has a handling package that can be ordered with your mustang convertible. As usual, your dealer charges way too much for this package. I chose to buy the base coupe and install what I wanted, and leave out what I didn't want, but you may want to have yours included by the dealer. This is an excellent starting point for improving your suspension. You can spend several thousand dollars more for aftermarket handling packages, but the return on investment is hard to justify. Your biggest purchase will be aftermarket tires and wheels, for unsprung weight and grip. I recommend Enkei PF01 wheels 18 x 9.5 with a .45" back spacing and Hankook Ventus R-S3 285/35XR-18 wheels. This is a medium wear R compound tire that retails for hundreds less than the other big name tires.

If you are mechanically inclined and can tune your own suspension, look up vorshlag.com for suggestions on handling kits. Also look at strano performance parts. These are two good sites for parts and handling advice. You can have more horsepower and better handling than either an M1 or M3 for alot less money. My favorite part is that I installed every aftermarket part on my mustang myself, and am learning and having as much fun as I did with my first car, a 1969 Dodge Superbee.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by llasov
I currently own a 2001 BMW CIC (convertible) 5 speed manual transmission. As the car is 11 years old I'm considering purchasing a 2012 Mustang Premium Convertible (6 speed manual).

Will the Mustang handle as well as the Beemer on winding back roads?

Is the Mustang's interior quiet, with the top up, at highway cruising?

I may have been spoiled by the BMW.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hey there, welcome to MF!

Coming from a 2000 bmw myself before my 11 Mustang, think I qualify a little to answer a few of those Q's (from my perspective mind you!)

I had a 2000 323i (modded fairly heavily).

Out of the box, your car stock, is going to handle better than the new mustang stock - just calling it as I felt it. I had a fairly heavily modified suspension by the time I sold the bimmer, compared with the fairly tight suspension I have now on the Stang - it will again be fun in the twisties (Your PP may be fine for you in that respect). Otherwise, you may need some investment in the suspension to get that 'i feel fine/it's tight feeling. IRS /=/ Solid Rear Axle (It's the best out there, but, it is what it is.)

It is a heavier car - a few hundred lbs more, something to get used to.

The additional power + wanting to corner like you do in the bimmer - will be a different experience (you will be feathering it in turns alot more than the bimmer, but essentially still taking corners at same rates.

I felt 'spoiled' by my bimmer at first when I made the change; just takes a little getting used to a different car at first; slightly bigger, heavier, and definitely more aggressive car/engine and how to work it vs a lighter, lesser powered vehicle like the 323/328 325/330's of the early 00's.

I did test drive a 09 vert, but that is apples to oranges with a 11+ vert, v6, GT, or otherwise imho. It felt fairly grounded, but I instantly was rolling around in my head while driving it.. 'bigger wheels, better tread, less roll so need suspension work..'.. Then again, that rolled around in my head when I got this car, and even when I got my bimmer....

GL with the decision!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
llasov

Thanks everyone for your remarks. Greatly appreciated!!

My BMW is more of a "cruiser" than a "handler". Very quiet with the top up. Almost as though as in a hardtop. My Miata is more of a "handler" than a "cruiser". Not much fun with the top up. (Love the short throw shifter). I'm getting too old for the Miata and the BMW is getting old for me. I was looking at the Mustang as giving me in one car what I am now getting with two. I should mention that I no desire what so ever to take the car to the track. Primarily interested in winding road handling and decent trip comfort.