Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

NEED HELP PLEASE!!!! My car just shut off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Default NEED HELP PLEASE!!!! My car just shut off randomly

So today i was on my way home going about 20-25 mph in second gear and wasnt really paying attention. Next thing I know my car shuts off and I lost all engine power. Weird thing though my lights and stereo were still on. Also the check engine, oil and batterie lights all came on as well. I pulled to the side of the rode turned my car off and started it back up and everything worked fine. What could have happened? What could be the problem?

Important note no warning lights have been on in the past. Oil was changed 1000 miles ago. Also I installed A JLT Cold air intake with custome bama tune about 2 weeks ago. Could that be the problem? Also just went and looked for a Dtc With my tuner and found nothing. Sorry if i have said anything thats stupid becasue I'am still a novice with cars.

Please help!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM
ccharanza

Default My 07 just didthe same thing

So I'm getting off of I35, and dropped it down into nuetral and next thing I know the RPM bounced around a little and then just dropped to 0 and the car died, the radio etc..was still on and the dash warning lights came on. I then managed to muscle my way onto a side road because I now had no power steering and my brakes seemed to be on the fritz too...got the car stopped, sat there for a minute and then it cranked right up-no problems. It wasn't running rough or anything and i was able to just drive it away.

I have the JLT SF3 110mm cai with a BBR custom tune, that I just loaded last night, after they had sent me an incorrect tune for the intake, I kept throwing a lean code, ran fine this morning and gas mileage went back up to where it should be etc...but then just boom..kind of freaked me out. I'm glad it didn't just die on the interstate...i'm going to call BBR and see if maybe the computer in the car might have had a blip or something and shut the fuel off. I didn't adjust anything in the tune, spark timing, idle speed nothing..i just uploaded the custom file and that's it.

Chris
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
ccharanza

So i pulled the throttle body off the car, really cleaned it good with throttle body cleaner, put it back on, put the factory tune back on the car, then reloaded the custom tune tweaking the nuetral rpm up to 850 and the in gear to about the same, and it seems to be idling smoothly now without the 250-300 rpm fluctuation ...so i guess only time will tell.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Did you guys contact Bama?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:44 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

I didn't because it only happened the one time and hopefully only the one time.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 PM
ccharanza

my tune was done by BBR in Florida, I decided to revert back to stock then reflash it. I went ahead and cleaned the throttle body out really well with tb cleaner, returned it to stock and reflashed it, cranked it, let it run for about 10 minutes at idle, then turned the ac on for another 5 or so minutes then went for a 15 mile drive, no issues. Today I got it in, put about another 50 miles on it, no issues, so hopefully it was just a technical glitch.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:51 PM
CoupeKiller
1st Gear Member

My car did that too..but I went from like 30 to zero in a matter of seconds...(had to slam on my brakes)..then it just died on me. turned everything off, and it cranked back up! however, i did have a weird idle when I first installed my custom tune..it bounced around between 1K and 2K, but now it's fine. Just re-flash it with your tuner and take it easy on it for the first full tank of gas.