Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installing hood scoop on vinyl stripes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Default Installing hood scoop on vinyl stripes

I want to install a hood scoop on my '06 Stang. I have vinyl stripes all ready on the hood. The scoop I'm interested in is the scoop from The Spoiler Store in Ebay. They seem to have very good reviews, looks good, and I don't like the scoop from American Muscle. My question is: The scoop installs using 3M tape with 2 screws in the back half of the scoop. The 3M tape will have to be attached to the vinyl stripe on hood. Do you all think this will be a good enough surface to adhere to, or does the tape have to adhere to the painted surface?

Here is the link to the scoop: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAINTED-FORD...item20c6539e66

Of course I want to make this as simple as I can and want to avoid messing with the stripes all ready there....any opinions out there?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
JimC

I had the Roush scoop on my car - it used 7 bolts and I didn't use any tape on it. But - it caused my vinyl stripe to "bunch up" where the scoop was because the scoop flexes differently from the hood. I would consider making a template from your scoop, and carefully cutting the vinyl and not try to use the tape on the vinyl. I wasn't sure about trusting the tape on the vinyl, and with the bunching up problem the vinyl will tear eventually.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

That would be tough to cut out stripe where the scoop will attach. It sure looks like most people have scoops on their stripes in most pics. I ordered the scoop, so now i have to figure out a way to do it right.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I had the Roush scoop on my car - it used 7 bolts and I didn't use any tape on it. But - it caused my vinyl stripe to "bunch up" where the scoop was because the scoop flexes differently from the hood. I would consider making a template from your scoop, and carefully cutting the vinyl and not try to use the tape on the vinyl. I wasn't sure about trusting the tape on the vinyl, and with the bunching up problem the vinyl will tear eventually.
I also have the roush scoop and the exact same thing... no one notices it but you... mine has been on there for 5 years... the damage done in the first few days of installation, never worsened for me... but it is annoying.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Basically I am trying to determine if the red 3M tape will stick to vinyl stripes, and will the vinyl stripes lift up from the painted surface it is attached to when the car is at 80mph?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1
Basically I am trying to determine if the red 3M tape will stick to vinyl stripes, and will the vinyl stripes lift up from the painted surface it is attached to when the car is at 80mph?
Basically it boils down to how well the stripes
were applied and what material/adhesive was
used. How long they have been on there and
how many hours they have spent baking in the
sun.
Are these OEM or aftermarket stripes?

Normally striping adhesive is never as good as the 3M VHB tape.
I dont see any problems since there are two screws.
Just be sure and not tighten them up too tight as it will
deform the hood around the scoop.

Now to actually drilling the hood...
A common drill bit designed for wood will not
produce very good results as it tends to 'screw'
into the thin aluminum hood instead of actually
drilling a hole. You really need a drill bit designed
for aluminum. Been there, done that.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Good info...The vinyl stripes are aftermarket from American Muscle and only been on for 2 months. They were applied by a body shop. The 'Stang is garaged, so minimal sun and weather exposure. Home Depot for the metal drill bits?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1
Good info...The vinyl stripes are aftermarket from American Muscle and only been on for 2 months. They were applied by a body shop. The 'Stang is garaged, so minimal sun and weather exposure. Home Depot for the metal drill bits?
Home Depot.
118 degree point.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:38 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

The scoop is on and it turned out great! Bought a new metal drill bit and that made drilling two holes so easy. Went thru like hot knife in butter! Replaced the white adhesive tape the scoop came with with 3M red tape....let set for 24 hrs with 3 one gallon jugs on top for pressure. Love the view from cockpit while driving! Here's some pics.