Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking at buying my 1st Ford

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
mjd77

Default Looking at buying my 1st Ford

Like the title says, I'm looking into getting a 2013 Mustang and this would be my 1st American car ever...just sharing my initial thoughts and looking for some feedback.

What I'm leaning towards is going with the V-6 premium, MT, with no additional packages and the only option being the racing stripe. Since I do live in Wisconsin and this would be a year round DD, what I was thinking about doing is taking the stock 17" wheels and putting snow tires on them and using that set for winter. I'd then like to get a set of 19's for use during the rest of the year. I'm not really into the aftermarket wheel thing, so what I think I'd like to do is get one of the following sets of 19" wheels that are available on the GT model.

I guess my initial question is...without the brembos on the V-6, would there be any fitment issues with those wheels?

Secondly...I know those "coffin" wheels don't seem to have many fans from what I've read on other forums but does anyone know of any website that sells them? I swear I saw them on a website last week, but now I can't find them. Contrary to most people, I kinda like em.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
JimC

The only thing that the 19" wheels may cause is that the tires could be taller, and therefore your MPH will be off as well as the odometer. With a tuner you can change the tire rotation to fix that though.

As far as using a Mustang as a daily driver -- I drove my 2006 year round in southeast Michigan. Every day, sun, rain, sleet, hail, and lots of snow. Never had any problems and I used the Pirelli all seasons. Didn't add any extra weight either. I sold the car with 203,000 miles on it in May when I ordered my 2013 and it is still running strong and no signs of rust.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
mjd77

^^^so are you saying the stock 17" all season tire may be good enough for the winter?...without having to switch to hardcore snow tires? Most of my commute is freeway, so it's not like I'm ever having to drive through any significant accumulation of snow or slush.

As far as the 19" wheels...I know the tire height can affect the MPH and odometer accuracy, but I believe the 19" wheels on the V-6 performance package use the same tire size as the ones available on the GT so I don't think there should be a problem. I've always been confused on how that works.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Depends if you are used to driving a RWD in the snow and wet/cold conditions. You might be able to get away with all seasons but if you have 2 different sets, doesn't hurt to just get dedicated snow, especially in Wisconsin. I have my summer tires with wheels and then I have my stock wheels for winter which I run Michelin X-Ice 2.

Been quite a few years since I've lived there but I'm sure you still get a good amount of snow.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

If I'm not mistaken 19's should be good on this car....Only saying so because the performance package does come with them. As far as a rear wheel drive in the snow, it can be real tricky if you are not careful. Snow tires would be good but if you drive mostly freeway the all seasons should do the trick.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM
mjd77

Originally Posted by armyjared
If I'm not mistaken 19's should be good on this car....Only saying so because the performance package does come with them. As far as a rear wheel drive in the snow, it can be real tricky if you are not careful. Snow tires would be good but if you drive mostly freeway the all seasons should do the trick.
I use winter tires on the RX-8 I currently drive and they work just fine, so I am used to having RWD in the winter.

As far as upgrading from the stock 17s to 19s on the V-6 premium, I checked with a few different sources and they all said the same thing...as long as I use the same 19" tire size 245-45-19 that is used on the GTs there will be no problem and the spedo will still be accurate.

I also totally forgot about tire rack...if you enter your vehicle on there, it only will show wheels/tire sizes that are compatible with your particular vehicle without screwing anything up and that checks out as well.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Do yourself a big favor and stick with your plan to use a set of wheels for dedicated winter tires and another set for an all-season performance. A light in the azz rear wheel vehicle with more torque than a lawn mower simply sucks in bad weather, period.

As far as all seasons for the balance of the year, you need something that will still provide good traction below 50 degrees. Most summer tires turn to rock in cooler temps.