Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pulled the trigger: Diablosport Predator & AFE intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Hurricane Stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Pulled the trigger: Diablosport Predator & AFE intake

like i posted in another thread i will probably buy the xcal2 and talk to lidio at alternative auto to put a tune in there for intake, exhaust, and a bigger throttle body as well as just a single tune in there for exhaust it may run me about 400+ but at least i'll have the program i need now plus the program i need later on when i get intake and throttle body...plus i don't think im gonna go with any exterior mods as of yet maybe wheels way down the line but for now im gonna concentrate on doing as much natural aspirating i can and then when that runs out either boost or get better interior engine upgrades i still have to do some research
Old 10-05-2005, 11:24 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Installed it tonight, smoother revs and can feel it pull more on the higher rpms. I can also chrip the wheels, which is new cause I couldn't do that before. I only took it for a short run but will have more info tomorrow night after I take it on the high way. but it is definitely a noticable difference.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:48 PM
MotorCityMustangMan

rygenstormlocke,

With the predator tweaked right and your CAI (especially with your dual exhaust) I think you could reasonably expect 15-20 horse. Our 4.0L breathe really well and needs help in the intake department in front of the throttle body. The stock tune from the factory is setup for comfort and and for use of a variety of qualities of gas and not for performance. As far as the throttle body goes, the '05 V6 (from what I hear) is a 65-mm TB (same size as the '93 Cobra 5.0) and you really shouldn't need to go with a bigger one unless you really add big power. The '98 V6 3.8L is a weaker vehicle and requires more tweaking and hardware to make it capable of where the '05 V6 is at right now. I think 8 horse that is being talked about by the other person was meant what you could expect in a 3.8 V6 that doesn't breathe as well with the heads being more restrictive and TB also. I don't think the other guy has test driven the '05 V6 yet or he might think differently about how much quicker it feels than the 3.8. Yeah, I too believe you don't believe everything you read in a magazine article as they are trying to get you to buy their product, but I do believe that by doing your homework you can get the best bang for the buck and find that some products (CAI and tuners) do work and give a substantial boost in horsepower and some don't!
Old 10-07-2005, 11:11 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MotorCityMustangMan

rygenstormlocke,

With the predator tweaked right and your CAI (especially with your dual exhaust) I think you could reasonably expect 15-20 horse. Our 4.0L breathe really well and needs help in the intake department in front of the throttle body. The stock tune from the factory is setup for comfort and and for use of a variety of qualities of gas and not for performance. As far as the throttle body goes, the '05 V6 (from what I hear) is a 65-mm TB (same size as the '93 Cobra 5.0) and you really shouldn't need to go with a bigger one unless you really add big power. The '98 V6 3.8L is a weaker vehicle and requires more tweaking and hardware to make it capable of where the '05 V6 is at right now. I think 8 horse that is being talked about by the other person was meant what you could expect in a 3.8 V6 that doesn't breathe as well with the heads being more restrictive and TB also. I don't think the other guy has test driven the '05 V6 yet or he might think differently about how much quicker it feels than the 3.8. Yeah, I too believe you don't believe everything you read in a magazine article as they are trying to get you to buy their product, but I do believe that by doing your homework you can get the best bang for the buck and find that some products (CAI and tuners) do work and give a substantial boost in horsepower and some don't!
Thanks for the input!!! I was wondering about our throttle body and you answered the question for me. Guess I will stop trying to find aftermarket throttle body. As for the tune I need to do some research to maxamize my mods. Will have to see how it goes.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:28 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Thanks JThorn9, I appreicate the detailed feedback and will reset my expectatins on 22hp. I knew I will need a professional tune. However, on the AFE intake, I have been watching that one closely as Afixer provided the test car for AFE. He put several posts up with dyno's of increases without any tune at all on our cars, and got an 11hp gain, which I think is very good for a CAI with no tune. This in combination of the Pred adjusting the shift points has me pretty jazzed up. Of course my car will be a work in progress over the next 3 years.

I'll see if I can get it to a dyno and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
With Diablo's preset tune, I got an increease of 8 RWHP on my 03 3.8. About 10 RWTorque. Don't expect much more. They call it a "Mild tune". BUT, the guy doing my dyno's said with more mods on the program, I could see an additional 15-20 RWHP, and 15-25 RWTorque. Call around to performance and race shops. Turns out my bud runs a race shop that has a lot of experience with Diablo's. After my gears and T-Lok are installed Monday, I'm taking it to him. He said he can get peak performance in less than half an hour of time.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:16 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ok... so i'm a little late to this party... LOL! Sorry, wasn't really following this thread...

To make it clear... I picked up basically 27 to 30RWHP with an MMR CAI (including tube), Magnaflow single axle back and an 89 Octane tune.

Ok... here's a completey stock v6 auto before and after loading an 89 Octane tune. It' shows a 12RWHP gain...and look at the big improvement in torque... This is with just a tune...

so that leaves about 15 to 18 RWHP for the CAI and muffler... So the CAI probably is in the 8 to 10RWHP range... not nearly as much as MMR (and other claim...) One thing though... Look close at the torque curve... it is basically flat from around 2500 RPM to 4000RPM... that is one thing I did notice with the CAI... it really helps out in the higher RPMs... I could feel the car pull a lot harder int the 3500 to 4000 range and the dyno shows that... so while the CAI may not add a lot of HP I do believe it helps maximize the torque...

Here the graph (again) showing my car (red) vs the stock (blue)... We were surprised at just how nice and flat the torque was...

also... this was with an 89 octane tune... we added some fuel to compensate for the CAI... (that's another long story! LOL!)

Old 10-08-2005, 07:15 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Scrimg, thanks for joining the party. I am running with a 91 octane tune....made a few changes today....took off the rev limiter, increased the shift points a bit. You are right, with the CAI I can definitely feel the car pull more in the higher rpms. I'm very happy with the tune and mods.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Hurricane Stang
1st Gear Member

good info from motor city mustang, i think my plans will change soon for any mods cause of current situations but i think i may have to go with the xcal2 still doing homework, btw rear wheel drive and slight rain = bad, i was taking a turn maybe going 10 or 15 mph and i did a 180 might need to look into some mods to control that problem
Old 10-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i also got the combo kit from rpmoutlet.com but with the AEM brute force instead of the AFE. After installing the CAI, i took it for a test run and immediately noticed that car felt "lighter" of course due to the increase in power. I'm not saying it was a huge boost but was definately a noticeable one. As for the tuner, it unfortunately does not work on my car,"yet". i have a brand new '06 Stang and Diablo told me that they are working on a new update to the software so that it will work on every '06. I was told that it does in fact support '06s except for about 5% of them (wierd huh) and of course i fell in that 5%. Well either way Diablo said they are working on it and will get it resolved in about 2 weeks. So for now all i can do is look at my Predator and pretend its a new xbox joystick for Halo2.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Torkfastback
1st Gear Member

Sanhco...how can I determine before buying if I am in the 5% catagory?