Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

No clue what im doing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 01:04 AM
mightymouse0786

Default No clue what im doing.

The mustang world is a new thing for me and i have no clue on whats the best brand for mods etc. oh and what is this Xcal2 i see so much about, is it a tuning software? What brand CAI, and exhaust should i get? preferably whatever cranks out the most hp. the tires imo need to be changed, they kinda kill the ride. Are there any other power adders besides exhaust and CAI?

sorry for all the paranoid questions, this is going to be my 2nd car and i want it to be just right.

oh and my biggest question of all, is there a way to get the GOV. off? 112mph kinda makes me weary

mightymouse
Old 10-09-2005, 01:20 AM
mightymouse0786

Default RE: No clue what im doing.

Could you get the Racing stripes added to the car? or does it depreciate it? At the moment im thinking since the car is white, ill get blue Stripes. yay or nay?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:45 AM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

Exhaust and CAI are completely up for grabs, everyone will give you a different answer. I have flowmaster 40's with an x pipe (true duals) I'm waiting on WWW.demolet.com to get their tunes and dyno through, but i'm prolly getting that. the Tuner can kill the gov.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:18 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Ok sinse your new I'm going to make this as simple as possble, so if I state somthing that you don't know or don't understand post a question and somebody will answer. First of all the Xcal 2 and the predator are both handheld tuners. Both of these products work really well and its up to you on what you want to do. First of all they both allow you to reset your rev limitator, reset or remove your top speed limitator, reset your fuel injectors, adjust your speedometor for larger rims, and much more. These tuners with a stock engine will add around 10-15 rwhp, depending on how you tune your ecu and will allow for even bigger gains the more you modify your car, the most you will porbably get with one of these is 25-30 hp with a highly modified car. Incase you don't know rwhp means rear wheel hp. Rear wheel hp is the amount of hp being delivered to the rear wheels. You are actually running around 170 rwhp, your engine produces 210, but due to weight, gear settings, and other outside factors you loose power to the rear wheels. Don't worry I'll tell you how to fix this. First off all to get the most rwhp gains you will need to do all of the bolt ons. These include changing out your stock pulleys with size ruduction underdrive pulleys, add on a cai, a high flow MAF housing, a high flow throttle body, high flow headers, and a true flow dual exhaust system, you can buy all of these on ebay or rpmoutlet.com. As far as what types of cais to buy its up to you, because all cais do exactually the same thing, they remove the paper air filter, stock airbox housing wich allows for better airflow into the engine, no product is really better than another, its just up to you what style you want, all will give you a realistic 5-10 rwhp gain not much more. To allow for maximum air to enter the engine you will need a highflow MAF housing and throttle body, rpmoutlet has these as well as some of our sponsers. As far as exhaust goes personally I like magnaflow exhaust systems, but this is up to you on what you want, shop around and listen to some sound clips to see what you like. X, and H pipes replaces your stock y pipe and allows for better hp gains. Now the x pipe will give you a hair better hp gain, and the H will give you a slightly louder sound, so yet again this is up to you. X and H pipes are what you attach your cat back dual exhaust systems to, you will have to shop for v8 x and h pipe cat back systems if you buy an H or X pipe. An x or h pipe mounts directly onto your headers, these are the pipes where your cats are located. As far as cats go, I would leave them on the car, you won't gain but maybe 2-4 hp by cutting them off, or getting a x or h pipe without cats. Now on to headers. These won't give you a big hp gain, maybe 2-5 hp at best, but they will give you a more agressive look when you raise the hood. Underdrive pulleys just free up hp they don't generate it, but they are essential for any high powered car. Will give you about 5-10 hp. Now the best way to get all of this hp to the rear wheels is to add on 3.73 or 4.1 gears along with a t-lok. Look at mustangtuning.com they will further describe what all of these upgrades will do, hope this helps a little.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:02 PM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

about that V8 X pipe

I need to keep the cats.

So to do that all you need to do is cut the x pipe drop dorwns off the x pipe and bolt it right behind the cats?

Or are there X pipes made for v6 that bolt up to the cats?
Old 10-09-2005, 06:34 PM
mightymouse0786

i thought true duals killed tq at higher rpms? what does the v6 top out at w/o the gov?
the stock tires are crap, what should i look at instead, ive always gone with toyo.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:48 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

First of all the v8 x pipes monut right up to your shorty headers, no other mods needed, if you don't want cats, then buy an off road x pipe. The reason you have to buy the v8 setup is beause the v6 setup only deals with cats that mount up to your stock y pipe. This will slightly increase hp and sound, but will not do as much as a true flow system as far as sound and hp are concerned. A true dual exhaust raises torque and hp across the powerband, don't know where you heard that from, but its wrong. You are removing your y pipe and installing a v8 set up which allows your car to breath better and allows for better sound. This mod is needed if you plan to fully redo your air intake because your engine will begin to suck in more air than it can properly disperse, this will intern kill hp. Toyo is great as well as all of the other high performance tires. Remember if you add highperformance tire you will not get as much life as you will with indurence tires, but you will get better traction and accelleration, so that's up to you, but any brand you buy will be better than your stock tires.