Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got my Dunlop Wintersport M3's put on for the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:00 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

Default Got my Dunlop Wintersport M3's put on for the snow

I went out and picked up a set of 4 Dunlop Wintersport M3's and it was worth it. I had the old Comp T/A's taken off the stock 16" rims and had the 215/65/16's installed. These tires look mean and got to test it in the snow ....

Sunday - It had snowed (2-3 inches) on Sunday morning and I got to drive my stang in it with the stock tires - NOT FUN. Even with the TT and tuning it to stock 87 with only the 3.73 mod it still was horrible, It kept spinning in place and took turns like a drifter. It scared me so that on Monday morning I was at the tire store waiting on line...

Monday - Had them put on and checked them out. By then the snow was really gone, but got to test them @ highway speeds and some handling. They really surprised me by how good they handled. Really not that much noise onhighway ( but then again I have Dual Magnaflows and 3.73 that push me to almost 2500rpms at 70 and reallly make the exhaust humm ) They felt very stable and not mushy like some other winter tires. Keep in mind these are winter performance tires and they really live up to it. I did not want to have a set of tires that make me have to stay under 50mph, and these were the trick

Tuesday - Got another 2-3 inches and I got to test them out in the snow & slush. It was a completely different car!! It would at times spin the rear tires for a half second or so and instantly grip after that - and that was with my 93 No torque slimiters etc... tune running. WIth the 87 stock that kills the throttle lag I doubt they would have even spun at all. I took turns around my neighborhood at normal speeds and it stuck to the road like an SUV. I was incredibly impressed with the difference,

Bottom Line- I would recommend these tires to anyone that has a pony that needs to see the snow as well. These defintiely will make your car driveable. I felt 100% confident with the set. Expecting snow again on Friday and I'll be able to get it on the freeway that day as well for further testing...

I'm keeping these tires on the stock rims and getting 17 bullits from my friends take-offs in the spring win win situation
Old 12-08-2005, 11:23 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Got my Dunlop Wintersport M3's put on for the snow

Thanks for posting. We didn't get the snow that had been forcasted earlier this week, so I haven't had my Oh Five in the snow yet. That should change tomorrow! If the Pirellis don't do well in the white stuff, I will consider getting a set of take-offs with the M3's. Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:47 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

yeah, I have the M3s on my GT and they seem like really good rubber.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:03 AM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

***UPDATE***

Friday - We got snow and took out the pony for work. This is a night and day difference. It was fresh snow (about 2 inches) and non plowed streets that I had traveled on just a few days ago in with similar weather conditions. But this time things were VERY different.

I was shocked what a difference tires actually make. BTW - I have also put in 120lbs sand (in bags ofcourse...) in the rear and a full tank of gas. There was NO evidence of any drifting in turns or any spinning out of the rear or front tires. I though for a minute that I was driving a 4wd! I was actually driving the 20+ miles to work sipping my coffee and listening to the radio and not once feeeling an ounce of worry or aprehension.
I drove up inclines and gave it moderate gas and it held on like it was on rails. Someone saw me pullin in and couldn;t believe I had made it to work in my yellow stang. They said other cars were getting stuck going up the inclince and were skidding around in the parking lot. Not once did it skid or loose any control.

So - If like me you were wondering what could you do to get your stang through the winter snow and if tires really would make a difference, all I have to say to you is - Dunlop M3's. I didn;t feel like gambling $600 total for the tires installed with tax etc... especially after getting my Detroit TT and gears put in 2 weeks ago - but now that I have, I would have spent twice as much knowing what a diff it is. Don;t worry if you need to drive in the white stuff. I can report to you all that with some weight in the rear and the tires you will not be worrying about the roads. Also I think the TT has also improved it by leaps and bounds by giving me the LSP.

Hope this helps everyone here and stay safe on the roads....