Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

track-lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:07 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

Default track-lock

I've been reading all the posts on track-lock that I can find and was wondering if there is any difference between limited-slip differentials and posi-track (a term I've heard thrown around). I'm planning on bringing my '05 v6 up to around 300hp so I'll need to have somrthing that'll handle the power. Also approx. what kind of power will the stock v6 driveshaft handle?

Thnx.

~orion6g
Old 01-14-2006, 10:34 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: track-lock

ORIGINAL: orion6g

I've been reading all the posts on track-lock that I can find and was wondering if there is any difference between limited-slip differentials and posi-track (a term I've heard thrown around). I'm planning on bringing my '05 v6 up to around 300hp so I'll need to have somrthing that'll handle the power. Also approx. what kind of power will the stock v6 driveshaft handle?

Thnx.

~orion6g
posi-traction is just GM's name for a limited slip... You mention 300hp... is that 300hp or did you mean 300RWHP? I'm at about 300HP and 260RWHP... more importantly I'm at 384RWTQ... my track-lock and drive shaft are holding up find... and they get abused on a regular basis... LOL!

Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thnx.

~orion6g
Do you have a manual or auto?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:51 PM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

manual... it wouldn't be a sports car without it
Old 01-14-2006, 05:54 PM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

when you see hp ratings from say ford or road and track for stock cars are they talking about hp or whp? I hear the gt is ~300hp... as long as I'm above that I'll be happy. I don't want some punk with a stock mustang to just go ahead and smoke me (with the obvious exceptions cobra, rousch, etc.) Also, did you have the trac-lock installed or did you do it yourself (I'm wondering how much it would cost to get it put in).
Old 01-14-2006, 07:26 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

don't even start...
Old 01-15-2006, 12:23 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

don't even start...
LOL, I guess he didn't see your 1/4 mile times......with an Auto. The sky is falling the sky is falling.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:40 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

haha i love the guys who think that an auto is so much worst then a manual....anyways...
how are you planning to get your car up to those powers? iff you want 300rwhp, you will probably have to look at stuff more than just bolt-ons

i believe that powerhouse is running their 300+rwhp v6 on the stock driveshaft
Old 01-15-2006, 01:39 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

don't even start...
LOL
Old 01-15-2006, 02:13 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

I can feel what he's saying about the manual's. Too me I agree!! sports cars should only be made in manuals but it's all about supply and demand and where you live. You cant live in Times Square or a real busy city with a manual!!! Plus there are very few who feel the way we do about manual's. Most older guys just say they've had there fun with them. But I also know there is some kick butt Auto's out there (screamin's) lol. It's just if you really like driving the car or not to be honest and what you've grown up on and had the most experience with in my opinion. What your better with yourself as a driver. Some people perfer an auto over a manual even when It comes down to racing. Yea clutches are annoying in traffic and to think of even dealing with a clutch to some people is crazy but I love it. My first car was a manual. Everything I learned driving wise, racing wise I would haft to take some time to learn it all again in an auto. To me this is how I see an auto.... Stomp the gas and let the car do the rest and just sit there and see if your car is faster, Nothing else you can really do, meybe let off the gas when the TQ converter comes into play so the car can shift a bit easer but to me thats boring. I really can't see to much skill in driving an auto once you know your car and how it shifts after a while ( it's all computer). In a manual it's just harder to master your take off's and shift points every single time you run compared to an auto. Like you could get a wonderful take off on one run then the next you could totally bomb out cause you let off the clutch too hard and gave it too much gas!!!![>:] I feel like every gears is more of a stride in a manual also. Plus the thrust you get when letting off the clutch too switch gears!!! And you usually have more RWHP & TQ and it takes to mod's a bit better I would imagine. It's nothing to argue about though it all personal preference.

Hell when Im in a auto I put it in 1st and just drive it like an manual anyway lol ( is that bad for it?) why do they give you that option if it is. Its not like your towing something in a car

Quick Reply: track-lock