Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

i want to get a pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:26 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

Default i want to get a pulley

hi question for anyone that can answer...

i want to buy a new underdrive pulley for my car.. any suggestions/prices/dealers.....

i alrdy have my dual exhaust, with CAI + xcal II..... im not going to have to get a new tune for the pulley.... also.... are they relatively simple to install... ive done basically all the work on my work to date except the vinyl... i.e. the new front and rear bumpers, side skirts, exhaust, etc. blah
Old 02-14-2006, 05:52 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: i want to get a pulley

ORIGINAL: gabeh1018

hi question for anyone that can answer...

i want to buy a new underdrive pulley for my car.. any suggestions/prices/dealers.....

i alrdy have my dual exhaust, with CAI + xcal II..... im not going to have to get a new tune for the pulley.... also.... are they relatively simple to install... ive done basically all the work on my work to date except the vinyl... i.e. the new front and rear bumpers, side skirts, exhaust, etc. blah
If you really want a pulley I would go with the PHP alternator pulley (www.paulshp.com) It's not on their website, so you'll have to give them a call... good for about 3 to 5 RWHP...
Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

john... how come you said " really " is a pulley not a good idea?!??! what are the pros and cons??
Old 02-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

john... how come you said " really " is a pulley not a good idea?!??! what are the pros and cons??
No, they aren't! There's a big risk for a small gain. You don't have to take my word for it:
http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...mper_dinan.htm
Old 02-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

+1 on that, the gains are not worth the effort. Now nitrous on the other hand....
Old 02-14-2006, 06:08 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jimp

No, they aren't! There's a big risk for a small gain. You don't have to take my word for it:

I 2nd Jimp here on the crank pulley... i would avoid that one...

Now the alternator pulley is I believe $169 plus shipping... if 3 to 5 RWHP is worth that then I'ld say go for it.. I had one on my car for a number of weeks with no issues what so ever... We checked the voltage and everything looked good even at idle... You'll need an impact wrench to get the stock nut off... LOL
Old 02-14-2006, 06:09 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

yea speaking of which ive been very interested in nitrous lately.. can anyone seriously give me a complete rundown of the Pros + Cons. Prices?!? what different kits.. what are the best.. what is the best to go about installing it in car.. etc. etc.

it would be much appreciated
Old 02-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

yea speaking of which ive been very interested in nitrous lately.. can anyone seriously give me a complete rundown of the Pros + Cons. Prices?!? what different kits.. what are the best.. what is the best to go about installing it in car.. etc. etc.

it would be much appreciated
IMO, Zex has the best kit out for our cars. It's a very safe kit, the Nitrous Management Unit will never let you run lean(it's a wet system). It comes on at WOT. It's fairly easy to install, I did mine myself. Get a buddy to give you a hand and take your time. It will take a day at least, maybe a weekend. You can run the 75 shot without a tune, use an 87 octane tune(or the stock tune) with 93 octane gas. That's what I do. Any higher than a 75 shot and you really need a custom/dyno tune. Cons? It's not really practical for the street, it's pretty much a track only deal. Which could also be considered a "pro" depending on how you look at it. It's kinda nice that it doesn't affect your day to day driving. You should go ahead and get the Racer's Kit at the same time, you'll end up buying all that stuff anyway and you'll save money that way. I got everything in the racer's kit seperate. Doh! I'm sure scrming will give you some more good info.

Also, here's all the power adders out there, including teh Zex!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=40330
Racer's kit is around $300.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
05AV6
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

Now the alternator pulley is I believe $169 plus shipping... if 3 to 5 RWHP is worth that then I'ld say go for it.. I had one on my car for a number of weeks with no issues what so ever... We checked the voltage and everything looked good even at idle... You'll need an impact wrench to get the stock nut off... LOL
John Did you fiqure out what was causing your noise?
Old 02-15-2006, 12:36 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05AV6

ORIGINAL: scrming

John Did you fiqure out what was causing your noise?
No, i haven't... but then again I don't hear it... I'm 99.999% sure it was the tensioner.... I suppose I should try listening for it again... I have to take my car in next week to have the gas tank replaced so I'll try and listen for it before then... LOL