Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

beefing up the body

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:42 PM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

Default beefing up the body

from teh factory the car is supposedly 30 or 33% stiffer in structural rigidity then the previous mustang. thats great and im glad our body doesnt flex as much. BUT, it still does flex and i have a question about beefing up teh suspension and making the body MORE rigid. most peeps will say that a stiffer anti-sway bar will reduce flex.. i agree. also i understand the concept of teh strut tower braces. i also think its a banging thing to have. then you go more in depth and get teh 6 or 8 point underbody kit which make the body that more more solid. so tell me, at what point would you say that your car is TOO rigid for daily driving? i am asking becasue i read in a diff forum that stiffer rear anti-sways with strut towers, and a new panhard bar etc will actually hurt the cars performance on teh everyday driving. they even said that getting into your driveway can become somewhat of a burden if you enter the driveway the wrong way. whats that all about? is it really possible to be so beefed up that its almost un-usable as your DD? i ask cuz i want my car to survive the rigors of auto cross and also drifting but still be able to drive her daily and still go for teh occasional drag race.your help on understanding this would be great guys and gals.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:45 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: beefing up the body

i would say that too rigid of a car will not have any forgiveness to key joints in the car or bolts and etc, you could be shaking bolts loose with every bump, i personally will be sitffening my car up, actually to be pretty solid, if anything goes wrong i will be fixing it then
Old 02-24-2006, 08:46 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

the point of a strut tower sway bar is to prevent radial twist to the width of your car typicaly in a turn
Old 02-24-2006, 08:58 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Id say as long as you dont care about comfort, go as stiff as you want. After all, the shocks and springs absorb most of the bumps.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:00 PM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

i know the suspension can handle it, but for daily driving you gotta have some forgiveness or youll be walking funny for quite some time and your car wont respond like you thought it would so thats why i wanna know what is TOO much beefing up. ok, hows this. the stock v6 (not pony package) has no rear sway bar. i wanna install one. so i buy the kit form eibach and i replace the front and rear at one time. is this setup already to stiff when i throw in a new panhard bar, and strutower braces, and the 6 point underbody link... see what im saying? also i have no i dea what would be appropriate for a drift/ autocross car. do i need a rear sway or should i just beef teh front and ditch getting the rear? i ask all this cuz i have done lots of drag before and since drifting and autocross are diff from drag, the suspension and rigidity are diff as well.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:04 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

to be honest i think someone who has done what you want to do will be able to shed you some light.. other than that i can only say, buy-install- (if you dont like) remove-sell