Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

we have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:48 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

both ways I still think it is the 40 sidewall that is the issue. a way to check would be if you turned your wheel all the way to one side and just looked to see if there is room between the back side of the tire and inside of the wheel well.

the only other thing I can think of would be if the rims you got where meant for the 2005+ mustangs, in that case then it would be a back spacing issue.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Agreed

The 275/40/18" is .9" taller than the 35 series I run on my Winter wheels. This means 1/2" less clearance all the way around and WILL rub on liner even with a perfect off-set. At stock hight, I would think it would ONLY rub during hard bumps though.

Jazzer
Old 09-19-2008, 05:25 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TimmyGt

the only other thing I can think of would be if the rims you got where meant for the 2005+ mustangs, in that case then it would be a back spacing issue.
how would i know if its for a 2005+ mustang or not?? pics coming soon by the way
Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

ok here it is...
LEFT FRONT

RIGHT FRONT

LET ME KNOW IF THE PICS ARE ANY GOOD OR NOT
Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

First of all (I am semi hammeried of some good vino as tehgal pal an di I made dinner so tiypng is not too good) your left front tire is on backward so need to fix it) Looks like may be some scars on that tire as well from fender contact. I think Timmy is correct on off=set and pssob;e )... FICK.... siedwall; issue.

I will comebackl tomorrow, not woking now

jazzerre
Old 09-21-2008, 02:55 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

that first pic is supposed to be in the LEFT RIGHT section cause its my left right tire... but anyhow, please let me know what u said when ur sober... lol
Old 09-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK, a little more sobor now

I thought I saw some rubbing marks on tire last night, but was probably just seeing things

I would guess that you are rubbing on the inside of tire against the back of fender. Put some masking tape around the edge of fender close to where tire is when turned fully. Take a drive and see if it rubs off. If you can put some tape on the inside, do that as well and see if you get tape damaged. You may consider getting your steering rack "limited" so you can not turn quite as far. I have mine done by one notch and a bit of an issue turning around in a parking lot, but not bad. Just have to make a two-pointer once in a while.

Do you get rubbing on straight lines? Hard bumps? Only during turns and hard bumps?

Jazzer
Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

yeah I get rubbing when I turn butwat about the massive car vibration I get when I go up a hill... What is that??
Old 09-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think your rubbing is an off-set issue and you probably have wheels meant for an S197 Stang.

As for other issue, you only get vibration when going up a hill? Sounds like an issue when the motor is under load or maybe an ABS sensor issue. Are all the tires the same diameter/size?

Jazzer
Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

yup they all the same size

Quick Reply: we have a problem