Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Launch Master Installed. Pics, Vids, Write-up, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:32 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MSD Launch Master Installed. Pics, Vids, Write-up, etc...

I really want one of these because they are cool but the class I run in doesn't allow any electronics. Even if I move up a class they still don't allow electronics. If I want to run this I'd have to move up to the Super-Pro class. Trying to runmy manualtranny against delay box cars would be racing suicide.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Nice write up DarkFireGT.

Guys, this works great for me, however, at least one person has stated it's holding RPM a bit lower than what he set it too. MSD is looking into it, could just be that particular module.

I installed it last week and like I said, it's working great. Problem now is traction. Even at 2300rpm I can't get any traction, so I'll be looking for DRs real soon. I have Nitto 555s right now. I'll be going to the track the weekend of 19 Jul where I run ET Streets, so we'll see how well it does.

Easy install and great mod for the track.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

If I werent blown I'd be all over that... When I put the accel COP's on it took an hour and a half...Damn 2007's[:@]
Not sure what you mean by this. Are the connectors for the accel COPs different than stock? If not, it just plugs right in.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:16 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

Nice write up DarkFireGT.

Guys, this works great for me, however, at least one person has stated it's holding RPM a bit lower than what he set it too. MSD is looking into it, could just be that particular module.

I installed it last week and like I said, it's working great. Problem now is traction. Even at 2300rpm I can't get any traction, so I'll be looking for DRs real soon. I have Nitto 555s right now. I'll be going to the track the weekend of 19 Jul where I run ET Streets, so we'll see how well it does.

Easy install and great mod for the track.
Yeah, that appears to be a heat issue, and rather isolated. Even so, it's holding the RPMs, just lower than what it's set, so you'd just have to adjust it to compensate. But I'm sure that issue will be resolved. That's why I tried to keep mine in an open area as far from the engine as I could get.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:51 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

If I werent blown I'd be all over that... When I put the accel COP's on it took an hour and a half...Damn 2007's[:@]
Not sure what you mean by this. Are the connectors for the accel COPs different than stock? If not, it just plugs right in.
Yeah, you don't pull the COPs out or anything. If you check out the write-up, the MSD harness just goes between the stock harness and the COPs connector.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

ORIGINAL: rford426

can we not get a 2step in our tune with a sct programmer?
Yes, but you have to disable a switch on the clutch that turns off cruise when the clutch is depressed. It also limits the revs by pulling fuel, which is definitely not safe, especially if you're running any forced induction.

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

did the underdash switches come with the unit?
No, if you read the notes in the write-up, I purchased it. You can use the clutch position switch built into the car, but I didn't want to tap into the existing wiring, just in case I ever get rid of the car. And obviously autos don't have that.

I'm going to be trying to find some kind of adhesive that will work with metal & plastic and not eat the plastic so I can get rid of the electrical tape. But it's working fine for now.
I dont have forced induction so i would be okay???? if so how do i get the 2step abled on my sct tuner>?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I'm FI and it works fine...has nothing to do with FI or NA. The problem with using the rev limit in the SCT is that it cuts fuel not spark (that's my understanding). While NA that would probably be OK, but while FI, cutting fuel is not necessarily a good thing.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Again, I personally wouldn't use the built in one. It's never good to run lean, especially considering you're going to be pushing the car when doing so. For just over $200, I'll take the piece of mind that comes with running the MSD unit instead. Pulling fuel during high RPMs is not safe.

But, if you want to use the one built into the SCT, you'll need to disable the sensor for the clutch that turns the cruise off when the clutch pedal is depressed. Then have your tuner enable the 2Step in your tune.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I am going to do the Accel COPS soon, can you give me a break down of what your problems were?

Thanks,