Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitro filled tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:27 PM
FredK

Default Nitro filled tires.

Temp in AZ changed from 100-110 to 80's and was driving along yesterday when the low tire light comes on an dash display shows low tire pressure. Stop and don't see any type of really low/flat tire so drive down to the closest dealer. Service guy says it might be faster a the the dealer's Quick Stop to have them check the tires. The manager at the the dealer's Quick Stop says he's only got two working and it'd be 2 hrs before they get to it.

Unacceptable and we drove back over to the service writer and say is that the best you can do? "Wait here," he said and he went and rounded up a mechanic and a pressure gauge. All 4 were low enough to trip the light. Off he goes to fill the tires and in about 10 minutes he's back with the rig. He says his reset device isn't working and runs back to get another. Clicks about where the device should be and on a couple the device was closer to the valve stem instead of about 180 degrees. Wonder if that could have cause some of the tire /front end shake I been seen mentioned here?

Anyway Kudos to Five Star Ford in Scottsdale for the service writer/mechanic for the fast service and boo's to their Quick Stop. Be posting this to their office.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I suggest you carry a tire pressure gauge in your car. I use a pencil gauge; it takes up very little room. For my monthly checks at home, I use a dial gauge. I also carry a manual air pump in my car. I think that most of the pumps sold in the local auto parts store are junk. I have a Goldenrod 200 psi air pump manufactured by Dutton-Lainson Company that seems quite good.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

There is no 'resetting' of the sensors required.
The service manager dont know squat bout servicing TPMS systems.
No KUDOs bout it.
He was/is an idiot.
Read your owners manual
or the Workshop Manual bout it....
p.s. regular air is 78.09% nitrogen...
Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 PM
91 Fox 331
1st Gear Member

there actually is a "resetting" required but that is only if you have the tires rotated, new tires put on, or a bad TPMS sensor that gets replaced. I suggest if you rotate the tires or have new ones put on that you make sure they reset the sensors or the next time you light goes off and says its the RT front tire there is a good chance you check it and its fine because the tire is actualy elsewhere.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 91 Fox 331
there actually is a "resetting" required but that is only if you have the tires rotated, new tires put on, or a bad TPMS sensor that gets replaced. I suggest if you rotate the tires or have new ones put on that you make sure they reset the sensors or the next time you light goes off and says its the RT front tire there is a good chance you check it and its fine because the tire is actualy elsewhere.
If you follow the link to the manuals that 157 listed it states resetting is not required for tire rotations
Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 AM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Yeah if the TPMS is like others you only need to have them programmed if you are putting new sensors in.

Having them to be reset after the TPMS light comes on would be silly and a hassle.
You just need to put the right amount of air and drive for a few miles if that and the light will go off.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BL00DSH0T
Yeah if the TPMS is like others you only need to have them programmed if you are putting new sensors in.

Having them to be reset after the TPMS light comes on would be silly and a hassle.
You just need to put the right amount of air and drive for a few miles if that and the light will go off.
+1 Simply increase the pressure and drive. The TPMS warning will clear. Done.

I hope you didn't fall for the N2 scam. Save your money. It's only acceptable if you can get it for free. And even then you'll end up adding good 'ol fashion AIR whenever you check your tires and need to adjust. N2 may enable you to adjust LESS but you'll still need to adjust your pressure and who the hell wants to have to trek to a dealer or tire shop? Just get out the old hand pump and be done without leaving your driveway.

Ambient temperature up north can vary from -20 deg. F to over +100 deg. F. Tire pressure will change roughly 1 PSI for every 10 deg. F change in temperature. Any driver worth a damn has a tire pressure gauge and keeps close tabs of his/her tire pressure. Even my g/f has a pressure gauge in her and her kids cars. AND they know how to use them. Astounding...
Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
afoust50
1st Gear Member

The Platinum Edition Ford Flex, Edge, and F-Series Trucks are coming with a "safety kit" that include a tiny air compressor...
Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

Cool

i used to work on the lube rack at a local ford dealer up until recently and the reason they use the tool to reset the light is because the normal customer is an idiot and will think there is still somthing wrong with their tire if you bring it back to them with the light still on instead of just takin 20sec to use the tool to reset it

and on the new 2010 ford vehicles the TPMS sensor is in the valve stem now no longer attached to a band like in previous models