Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good mod idea for a 14 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Gt14

Default Good mod idea for a 14 GT?

Currently everything is stock, and I'm unsure where to start. My end goal is a blower, but I wanna move towards that slowly.

I have tires/rims thus far, I was considering a quad exhaust but seems like a lot of time and work, and still not want the effect I'm over. But I can't find any dual exhaust that have a race sound, rather then a loud beefy sound (which seems far more popular).

Suspension mods? Where to start? What's going to make a difference in both handling and speed?

Brakes? Brembo are crazy expensive, any alternatives that don't lack the quality of is it truly worth spending the cash for?

Been trying to research this but was wanting some feedback from other people rather an article by one single person.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gt14
Currently everything is stock, and I'm unsure where to start. My end goal is a blower, but I wanna move towards that slowly.

I have tires/rims thus far, I was considering a quad exhaust but seems like a lot of time and work, and still not want the effect I'm over. But I can't find any dual exhaust that have a race sound, rather then a loud beefy sound (which seems far more popular).
If it's specifically a high-revving sound that you want and don't mind losing the usual "V8 rumble", an X-pipe will give you that. An X-pipe tends to be more noticeable as such in some rev ranges than others. Ford Racing has an X-pipe that just clamps in, after you cut a little off of the pipings ahead of the OE clamps near the transmission. I think it's available through American Muscle, and it might actually be worth a couple of HP at high revs even with free-flowing mufflers behind it.

Suspension mods? Where to start? What's going to make a difference in both handling and speed?
Suspension mods aren't really about increasing speed. Making the car easier to control at higher speeds isn't the same thing. Mods to improve launch traction are apt to detract from handling rather than improve it, so you may have some deciding to do first.

Start by deciding what it is about your car's handling - IOW, its behavior into, through, and out of corners - that you think needs to be fixed. Things that you don't even like the way it does them or things that you don't think the suspension is doing well enough.

Keep in mind that your wheel and tire package is also involved. You aren't going to get world-class handling from Nitto NT555's on 18x8 wheels no matter what you do to the S197's suspension.

Brakes? Brembo are crazy expensive, any alternatives that don't lack the quality of is it truly worth spending the cash for?
What, exactly, do you think the brakes need to be better at? And what kind of uses do you see putting this car to?

The most extreme duty you can throw at your brakes is HPDE/road course track day driving. You probably won't actually need the bigger Brembos until after you've been signed off to drive solo and done so for several events. In the meantime, more aggressive pads in your OE size rated for track duty and temperatures, higher temperature brake fluid, and maybe some brake cooling ducting will be enough even if you are tracking the car. On the street, you won't even need to go that far (performance street or autocross pads and good fluid is entirely enough for any legal street driving).

If it matters, I'm waiting on parts to swap the 14" SVT/Brembo kit onto my car. But these days more than 10% of the miles my '08 GT sees are road course track day miles where the braking is hard, frequent, and from 100+ mph, 20 minutes or more at a time without a break.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-04-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I have the GT500 quad exhaust and it's near perfect for what I was looking for. Well worth it, but I'm considering having the tips changed out for something better looking. I lowered the car & did some suspension mods - but nothing there was for speed. I did it for what I wanted as a daily driver.

I did the GT500 Brembo swap recently. The reason is I have a '14 Focus ST also (stock) and the way it handles/brakes is fantastic. I thought my Mustang was a hair mushy for a DD and decided to spend a few bucks.

I've been considering a supercharger but for the money I'm half way considering trading the Focus ST for the new Focus RS...

Welcome & enjoy your stay.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Do ya have an automatic trans??