Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Driving Traction Control and Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:41 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingless
Until recently I've always used summer-only in the summer and winter-only in the winter.

The wife has been burning through $1.5K of summer-only tires every 12K miles on her Porsche. She is now running all-season w/ 6x the mileage rating for her grocery store runs.

Hehe, someone likes to burn rubber.

I have Nitto summer tires on there now, so I'll be switching over to winter tires when the time comes. At least this winter, I'll have a beater to share..
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Hehe, someone likes to burn rubber.
Not really.

The Porsche-approved N rated tires are all about maximum performance. They sacrifice tread life for maximum grip.

This is typical mileage for the housewife / grocery store runs. (But, they are capable of extended 160 mph grocery store runs).

The new tires are not Porsche approved. We'll see how those hold-up. They're only 130 mph rated.

The winter-only Porsche-approved tires had decent tread life. We got many seasons out of those.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I never had issues in Saint Louis (snow and ice) with the all-season p-zeros. Just add a little weight. If the car has Advance Track that should help. If it's only traction control...turn it off. No need for snow tires if it only snows once and a while.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
WHOA!!! Tell me more about this. I never heard this one and it sounds like info that EVERY northern Stang owner should be aware of. Please elaborate.
Well, the CD is both thin enough to get started between the glass and the seal at the end of the door, and the round shape means you won't dig a corner into the seal and damage it. Literally just zip it along bewteen the seal and the glass, up to the mirror, breaking its icy grip, and the window should drop its little bit.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Blizzaks (which I put on the stock wheels for winter driving) work okay in the snow on flat roads but the few times I've had to drive in the white stuff I've found inclines/declines to be a challenge.

Uphill from a standing start when I was caught on an off-ramp the rear wheels just spun and spun, and the back end hung out to the right at about a 20 degree angle; some additional weight may have helped but I didn't have it with me at the time. Downhill with even gentle breaking and driving slow the back end wants to come up front and say "hi".

I bought a set of cable chains for the worst case scenario and used them once when I was trapped at work in an un-predicted snow storm. They helped a lot but I hope to never use them again - best choice is to avoid the snow if you can.