Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Relay Fuse Keeps Blowing!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
CORRECTION: Just started car and let it idle....It misses at idle too! I got like 13 misfires in 5 min. I do not believe it was doing this the other days it was idling or when I first let it run and warm up before driving it last night. Hmmm does the fact that it's getting worse indicate anything? .......It's also really cold (colder than the other nights)

Now, last night when I drove the car I got gas (93 as always). I was not paying attention to misfires on the gauge before so I can't say for certain but I didn't notice any misfires by feel or notice any on the gauge, but AGAIN, I wasn't really paying attention. What I do know for certain is that I noticed the misfires after I got gas. IDK i do get gas from this Exxon all the time and I've never gotten a misfire before. Question: What would you do? Try and siphon the tank? If this gas was "bad" could it have already fouled the plugs?

I wish I was paying more attention, I can't be certain if it was missing before the fill-up or not although I think I would have noticed at idle if it was as bad as today....Input?
How do you know it's missing? Strange off note sound in the exhaust? RPM drop?

Ever since my motor has been built I have had a sound that is similar to a miss at idle.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

You can feel it. It feels like the cars missing a beat. This and the guage shows it too but its easily feelable.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:29 AM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

I saw some discoloration on one wore but nothing major and idk if its anything.
Which wire did you see the discoloration. Was it when you opened the harness, or is it still visable. If so, try and post a picture and maybe we can point you in the right direction. Going from a blown fuse to a misfire.. This would lead me to agree (and apologize to) Wayne613 that there is still an issue that needs to be resolved.

Have you ever run any kind of fuel additive or octane booster since your put the new HTO's in? That will foul out the plugs pretty quickly, which would also cause a miss.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You can feel it. It feels like the cars missing a beat. This and the guage shows it too but its easily feelable.
Not related and I would not worry about it unless you could feel it under load.

I would be worried about my pump working intermitantly and going lean while under boost.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

No additives the car drove on one trip since the plugs before I tore it down.....

The discoloration actually looks like some yellow color came off of an adjacent wire......Had my mech friend look and he said it looks fine. It doesn't look like burn.

As far as a wiring issue idk, From what I can tell the misfires have gotten worse since the first couple run cycles
Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302_GT
Going from a blown fuse to a misfire.. This would lead me to agree (and apologize to) Wayne613 that there is still an issue that needs to be resolved.
No need man. This could just be unrelated, highly co-incidental of course, but still could be. I´d just have to know at any rate as that just raises all sorts of red flags, even if it´s not an issue now, I´d give it high odds of being one later.

In that same vein I should have taken my own advice and checked the insulation to my pipes last week when I noticed water stopped running to my sink because it froze, came home to a busted pipe today, would have saved me all kinds of headaches.

On the plus side I do have a sweet view of my attic from the kitchen now.

Last edited by wayne613; 12-15-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

No additives the car drove on one trip since the plugs before I tore it down.....

The discoloration actually looks like some yellow color came off of an adjacent wire......Had my mech friend look and he said it looks fine. It doesn't look like burn.

As far as a wiring issue idk, From what I can tell the misfires have gotten worse since the first couple run cycles
Have you thought about checking other grounds?

When I have dealt with something like this in the past it had always been a dead short inline with the fuse.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I've checked all the fuses and no shorts....
Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

K, try and explain this mis again.

Generally speaking on SC'd cars if you start to develop a mis over 3k RPM's it's related to either the spark plugs (spark blow out) or the fuel system running lean. Either of which feels like the car is cutting out, but either would generally happen every time you get into full boost.

What your describing sounds like a very inconsistent mis, and your saying it happens at an idle, but your not getting any check engine light. This sounds like a vacuum leak, but again that should be consistant, not getting worse. If it was a small leak the mis could go away once you give it some gas.

But are you saying the mis continues as the RPM's climb, but doesn't get any worse?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
OregonGT

Exclamation I need Help with BLOWN FUSE TOO!

i was just wondering if you ever got your problem solved? I just got my install done last night (at 2:30AM!)...

The engine will crank but not fire.. When I checked the fuse you remove in the beginning of the Roush M90 SC install it is blown.. I believe this fuse is for the fuel pump...

I discovered that it will blow as soon as the ignition is turned on... The engine does not have to crank for it to blow...

So...

1. Did you get yours fixed... and how?

2. How do I check for a short?

Thank you all~