Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Purist

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

So lets have drink together and figure out what i asked, What is original and what is considered a "Mod"

The GM transmission (powerglide) in my 06GT is a mod. Could be the only original parts remaining on the car are the wing mirrors?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
BLKSTAGE3
1st Gear Member

Being 16 my generation decides what becomes a classic and most of us "kids" don't strive to have a mustang we want cars like s6's and m5's. German super saloons will be the next generation of collector cars i'll guarantee it. The muscle car was big in the older generation that's why people want them. In mygeneration people want euro sedans.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tnroadrunr
No offense taken, and I am sorry but you could not be more wrong. My very first Mustang was a 1964 1/2 fastback. It had a 200 Sprint in line 6 cylinder with a 3 speed manual transmission. One of those today in original condition is worth 3 of the new Mustangs. Anyone who remembers the original Mustangs remembers the 6 cylinders that came with them and even the 4 cylinders that came along later.

The inline six cars are classics, but I'm afraid that the four cylinder Mustang II will ever gain quite the same acceptance. Don't get me wrong - the MII did keep the Mustang name alive and it did maintain continuity of the front engine/rear wheel drive architecture.

Back in the 1960's, I knew people who had three different 'flavors' of early Mustang. The doctor's daughter with the sixxer, a friend of mine with the 289/4-barrel/4-speed fastback, and the kid on the other side of town with the K-code (that he built up from there until he crashed it).

The motor does not make it a Mustang, it is the style, it is the Look, It is the Tradition, It was designed to be an affordable sports car for the common people of America.

This one's a tough call, and I think it depends entirely on your personality. When you get into your car to go for a drive, is it just a relaxed-pace cruise or do you get into the throttle a bit - or a lot - deeper than you need to? Is it the same for all of your cars? Would you have driven the same car the same way "back in the day" when you were also younger? Would you have longed for it to have had more "oomph"?

This car was never intended to compete with Ferraris, Lamborginis, or even Corvettes, it is intended to be fun, sporty, quick, and now.... A classic. At my age I know speed, I know Muscle, and I know classics, I have had all the above, and I know that future value has nothing to do with motor size.......

It still doesn't really compete directly against those cars (though a case can perhaps be made with respect to the M3). However, the performance of everything has moved upstairs, cars have gotten much more well-rounded in their capabilities, and the performance gaps have closed up as a result.

Future value of a V6 model vs a GT may end up about the same, but not necessarily for the same person or people.

So lets have drink together and figure out what i asked, What is original and what is considered a "Mod"

Depending on who you talk to, "original" can mean . . .

just that - all original equipment or original replacement parts. Can't help getting memories of Glen Wren (aka Soaring) here.

original optionally available equipment on a car built to order

originally available over-the-parts-counter equipment (remember the 4 x 2 Webers and "trunk kits"?)

period-correct modification

On that last, keep in mind that the Mustang debuted at a time when there was quite a bit of backyard engine swapping and other "hotrodding" going on. You know, where if the car wasn't fast enough or flashy enough for you with stock parts, you yanked the stock stuff out and put something in its place that was. That's an integral part of the car hobby, and modding is bigger than just Mustangs.

FWIW and with I guess one exception so far, I've kept the original outward character of cars that I've modified reasonably intact. But I've made modifications to improve my enjoyment of the way I drive them. No, the modifications have not all been period-correct (or even readily available commercially for that matter). The only "convention" that I expect my cars to fall within is that they go/handle/stop better than stock. How far they get from stock and how they get there isn't important.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-11-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
...Like the OP said, a classic 6 cyl fastback is worth more than the coupe V8 of the same year.
Oh no! How's that happened??..
That happened because there are/were LOTS more of the V8 coupes, than the straight 6 fastbacks... Fastbacks with any engine are more desirable. That's the only reason. Nothing wrong with the 6, but when collectors think of Mustang, they're also thinking V8. Of course, over time, a nicely kept original 6 will collectible too.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
The only way our non-limited production cars will ever have a chance to become classics is if the vast majority of S197s become junked, wrecked, stolen and chopped, etc. Just then, will our non-limited production S197s have a chance of becoming classics.
Jim,
I agree with everything you've said, it will take something special to happen. But it looks to me like that event is already unfolding. If you look at this forum as a great example, these cars are already being modified, revamped, sooped up, and run hard. This simple post about what is considered modified and what is purist has started a firestorm of comments, opinions, and even some criticism.
There are some cars that are fortunate enough to start life as a classic... Corvette, Camaro, Challenger, and the Mustang to name a few. The secret is to allow the car to keep it's classic status while still being able to enjoy it's attributes. That is what I intended this thread to be about.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 PM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Back in the muscle car era (60s) they would of never considered those mustangs and a lot of other cars collectables....my father reminds me everytime we watch Barrett Jackson "if I only still had that car". A car he junked back then and in junk condition today would sell today for $20,000! Who would of known back then....is what the old timers say today. No one would of guessed a collector car market would of been created.
Now you have me figured out, I am in the class with your Father. I had a bunch of OLD HOTRODS, that were just OLD cars, we swapped parts, body panels, engines, and interiors. And they were just OLD ....... Like

An Old:
1996 Chevelle SS (327)
1967 Impalla SS (327)
1964 1/2 Mustang Fastback (200 sprint)
1972 Pontiac Catalina (400)
1973 Chevelle Laguna S-3 (400 small block)

You know just OLD JUNK like that, who da thunk it?
Oh yea I owned these between 1974 and 1981..... Now that "old junk" in good shape would be a total of a couple hundred thousand for them all

Last edited by tnroadrunr; 02-11-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tnroadrunr
Now you have me figured out, I am in the class with your Father. I had a bunch of OLD HOTRODS, that were just OLD cars, we swapped parts, body panels, engines, and interiors. And they were just OLD ....... Like

An Old:
1996 Chevelle SS (327)
1967 Impalla SS (327)
1964 1/2 Mustang Fastback (200 sprint)
1972 Pontiac Catalina (400)
1973 Chevelle Laguna S-3 (400 small block)

You know just OLD JUNK like that, who da thunk it?
Oh yea I owned these between 1974 and 1981..... Now that "old junk" in good shape would be a total of a couple hundred thousand for them all

Yep, those were nice cars. I also owned several of those cars on your list and others when I was younger (80s + early 90s). I blew up everyone of them and either junked or left it on the side of the road or in the woods...who would of known the cars would of appreciated 20yrs later.

Anyways, as far as my car/our cars being future classics....they will. If the cars of today are still on the road 40 years from now they will be considered a classic. Some cars will be more desirable then others. Depends on where they will be placed on the Car Collectability Grade Scale along with condition grade.
There's a lot to it.

As far as worrying about my car being around in the future.....I'm not. I'm gonna drive and enjoy. I'm going to modify it the way I want it to be....and DAMN the criticism from the purist!! I'm living for today. Let the purist bequeath sound/unmolested examples for the future!!

In all seriousness, I always wanted to buy a nice large barn/building to use as a work shop and to also store cars & car parts.....as a hobby/investment. I wouldn't mind buying inexpensive 70s, 80s & 90s cars and spare parts that I feel would appreciate in 30 years. It's a gamble but, the cars would be cheap and in restorable condition.These cars which we consider junks today.....will be considered classics 30 years from now. When I retire in 25+ years I would have fun selling off the cars/parts I squirreled away. I think this would be a Cool hobby??