Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak?! Video inside-need ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Default UPDATE

Had some time this afternoon, so I went ahead and drove it by the dealer. I was able to get my service guy to come out and listen to what's going on. He got in and held the rpm's so I could hear it from the egine bay as well. It doesn't sound like exhaust. It sounds more like valvetrain noise. It's a busy dealership so I've got to drop it off on tuesday for them to take it back and look at it. They already started the deal about it maybe being a 'normal' thing. I'm not sure how this spells normal. It doesn't do it any more/less, and isn't any louder cold vs. warm; And only under load between 1k and 1300 rpm or so.

On the exhaust note, I was able to tighten up my midpipe clamps a bit; still have the hissing, and obviously didn't have any effect on the ticking. A question these clamps: can they be overtightened at all? I was able to get all 4 bolts to turn a bit, and could prob pull them around a tad more, maybe. But can I tighten them too much?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by HOTRODD77
It doesn't sound like exhaust. It sounds more like valvetrain noise. It's a busy dealership so I've got to drop it off on tuesday for them to take it back and look at it.
Hey HOTRODD77,

It's great they were able to get a technician to take a look at it with you, and I'm glad they scheduled the appointment to figure out where the noise was coming from. I hope they were able to get your Mustang back on the road.

~Natasha
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey HOTRODD77,

It's great they were able to get a technician to take a look at it with you, and I'm glad they scheduled the appointment to figure out where the noise was coming from. I hope they were able to get your Mustang back on the road.

~Natasha
Thanks! It's back on the road, but with a diagnosis of 'normal'; Not sure if I can live with that. He told me to have my next oil change done at the dealership and he guaranteed the "noise would reduce by 50%". I've always used mobil1, and he said there's actually a tsb out on this noise that says it can be worsened by getting away from the motorcraft oil. I haven't been able to locate this tsb. Anyway, we'll see after my next oil change at the dealership. Not sure what else to do right now.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

You know, Jim Sr. at JDM told me the same thing. He said Ford didnt spend a ton of time engineering that oil for nothing, and thats why thats all he uses. He said Ford designed that oil specifically for the 3v motor and the cam design. I too think I am going to try the synthetic motorcraft next and see what happens.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
You know, Jim Sr. at JDM told me the same thing. He said Ford didnt spend a ton of time engineering that oil for nothing, and thats why thats all he uses. He said Ford designed that oil specifically for the 3v motor and the cam design. I too think I am going to try the synthetic motorcraft next and see what happens.
Hmm, that's interesting. I guess we'll see. Hopefully it will remedy this
Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yeah I am going to try it next and see how the car responds to it. Also what brand filter are you using? I read that some aftermarket filters are louder than others, but I have always stuck with the FL820S Motorcraft filter and never had a problem
Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by HOTRODD77
Thanks! It's back on the road, but with a diagnosis of 'normal' Anyway, we'll see after my next oil change at the dealership.
Thanks for the update, HOTRODD77. As grabber blue gt said, Motorcraft parts & fluids are designed for your specific vehicle, and will maximize the performance. If you are still concerned after your oil change at the dealer, please let me know. Have a good night!

~Natasha
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Thanks for the update, HOTRODD77. As grabber blue gt said, Motorcraft parts & fluids are designed for your specific vehicle, and will maximize the performance. If you are still concerned after your oil change at the dealer, please let me know. Have a good night!

~Natasha
Well finally came around for another oil change, so I took it in to the dealer and let them do the motocraft in it. The noise is still there I've only driven a few hundred miles since, so we'll see if it calms down at all. If not, I might go back and see if they'll take one more look at it. I'll update in a few weeks...