4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

remote start disaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:15 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: remote start disaster

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

That's funny as hell, while it sucks at the same time.

Hope everything works out.

I say to myself well there no sense in racing out the house it's not like ur going to be able to jump in and prevent it from hitting anything. I just hoped when I saw that it hit the van that it hit the rear tire, but no such luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

ORIGINAL: djb1187

dang man that sux...thats why i am afraid to get a remote start. i got scared like two nights ago because it was real late at night an my car was left in gear and i was so tired i forgot to put it neutral when i started it and lightly rearended my girlfriends car...thank god no damage was done

You popped the clutch thinking you were in neutral after it fired?
Yeah, I was gonna say, because you have to push the clutch in to start it.

Either way, this is exactly why I'd be scared to get a remote start on a manual transmission.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:19 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Technically the shop that installed your remote starter is liable. I GUARANTEE, that the company that makes that remote starter system says that IT CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON A STICK SHIFT CAR! So theyre at fault here.
-P.

It was done my a guy that works for a shop but was done as a side job unknown to the managers of the shop.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

My friend did almost the same thing with his stang, but he went through his garage.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:38 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TOOT

Technically the shop that installed your remote starter is liable. I GUARANTEE, that the company that makes that remote starter system says that IT CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON A STICK SHIFT CAR! So theyre at fault here.
-P.

It was done my a guy that works for a shop but was done as a side job unknown to the managers of the shop.
Exactly, I used to work at a sound shop where we also installed remote starts and alarms, etc. and EVERY remote starter ALWAYS said that theyre not intended to be installed on manuals. Looks like theyr egoing to be fixing your car.
-P.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

As soon as I saw the title I knew what happened. Seems to be a trend these days. I just don't understand the point of a remote start. I would be too worried about things like that or somebody stealing my car. Seems like a waste of money and an attempt to be even more lazy.

I'm sure that there are measures in place so people can't steal the car but that in itself would stop me from buying one. Also the fact that by not leaving it in gear the parking brake could give out and the car could role into the street.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TOOT

-P.

Exactly, I used to work at a sound shop where we also installed remote starts and alarms, etc. and EVERY remote starter ALWAYS said that theyre not intended to be installed on manuals. Looks like theyr egoing to be fixing your car.
-P.
YES THEY DO make remote starters for standard tranny cars. I'm looking to buy one right now.. here's one check it out

http://www.autostart.ca/prostart/prod-en_CT-3200.php

It's a neat trick they figured out to keep standard tranny problems safe, not like what the guy above posted. The ProStart model WON'T remote start the car unless you used the remote to stop the motor in the first place, and only if you DON'T open a door after shutting off the engine. The idea is, if the tranny was out of gear when the engine was stopped then it goes to reason it is still out of gear when you want to remote start it.

Now there are always problems & tricks with everything so, you gotta still be smart about it. But for me, here it can get like -30C in winter and I HATE plopping my butt onto a freezing cold car seat & waiting for the heat/defrost to do it's thing. If they can make a remote starter that's dependable then yeah, I'll pay for that luxury
Old 11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

That sucks TOOT, I know you had a problem a month or so ago with someone ramming into you Stang.
Hope all is OK!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:57 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

-P.
+1000 The safety(s) wernt installed properly or bypassed or it was a system for an auto. they do make them for Manuel's but need the safety installed get a lawyer.
This is the type of thing that shouldn't be done except for a dealer or CERTIFIED installer of the remote starter in the 1st place.
I doubt insurance will cover it since there is negligence on somebody's part. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.