4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine noise, wondering if it's normal

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine noise, wondering if it's normal

Hey guys, I own a 2002 Mustang GT.

When I'm cruising around in my car,I always seem to hear a little metallic like noise coming from the engine between 2,200 and 2,500 RPM's in all the gears (especially when I'm moving slower or not so aggressively because I can pay more attention). It's not a big noise at all, it actually seems as if something was maybe moving and hitting a peice of metal in the engine bay (or exhaust? from my point of view it seems to be coming from the engine).

As I'm new to Mustang's, I was wondering if that little noise is normal and if it's something to worry about. Also, the previous owner had installed an aftermarket exhaust (flowmaster's) but I've had the car inspected in 3 places before purchasing it and everything was in excellent condition (and so was the car).

I'll also ask a quick second question since this is my first standard transmission car: can I "damage" the clutch if I press a little on the gas before depressing the clutch and engaging in first gear? Sometimes I do it (not on purpose), especially on a slope in traffic to avoid stalling the car. Fortunately, this problem doesn't occur often as I'm starting to really get the hang of the car and it's friction point.

Thanks for your input.

Nick
Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine noise, wondering if it's normal

When I put the cat back on my `Vette, I forgot to tighten one of themounting bolts & it buzzed like crazy until I figured it out. It almost sounded like a bunch of marbles in a tin can. I don`t think you can damage the clutch by accidently giving it some gas while shifting. These things are not " that " fragile
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

alright, good to know for the clutch!!

As for the exhaust being loose (however you spell that), wouldn't it make that kind of sound at higher RPM's too? Because once I get passed 3k RPM's, I don't hear it anymore.. it's really weird.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 AM
iamyourdaddy26
1st Gear Member

any noise the engine makes is usually bad. do you have aftermarket exhaust? if its a tappin noise it could be a value tap or a leaky exhaust. if its a metal on metal kinda of squeel it could be the pilot bearing. i could barly hear it when my wrist pin went cause my exhaust. good luck.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

if its a metal on metal kinda of squeel it could be the pilot bearing.

Yeah, sounds like that but it's very low and I can barely hear it. I have an aftermarket exhaust but it's notloud at all (IMO). I think i'll ask ford to check the exhaust and to make sure that it's not not loose. Thank youfor your help
Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
iamyourdaddy26
1st Gear Member

yeh i know someone who had the same problem it was really quite and his problem happened at really low RPMS like 1200-1800. cause i could hear it but the radio had to be off and the windows were down we never found out what it was but as far as i know i think it went away. which is prob not good.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:18 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Doomtroop

Hey guys, I own a 2002 Mustang GT.

When I'm cruising around in my car,I always seem to hear a little metallic like noise coming from the engine between 2,200 and 2,500 RPM's in all the gears (especially when I'm moving slower or not so aggressively because I can pay more attention). It's not a big noise at all, it actually seems as if something was maybe moving and hitting a peice of metal in the engine bay (or exhaust? from my point of view it seems to be coming from the engine).

As I'm new to Mustang's, I was wondering if that little noise is normal and if it's something to worry about. Also, the previous owner had installed an aftermarket exhaust (flowmaster's) but I've had the car inspected in 3 places before purchasing it and everything was in excellent condition (and so was the car).

I'll also ask a quick second question since this is my first standard transmission car: can I "damage" the clutch if I press a little on the gas before depressing the clutch and engaging in first gear? Sometimes I do it (not on purpose), especially on a slope in traffic to avoid stalling the car. Fortunately, this problem doesn't occur often as I'm starting to really get the hang of the car and it's friction point.

Thanks for your input.

Nick

i wish i could find all of my sounds.........
i get same sound, ticking, rear end clunking, gear shifter whine

each time something is installed i get a new sound..... C/A caused more bumping rear end, short throw i get a whine in shifter, exhaust that metallic sound and a marble type sound, ticking from my wife and brother hitting rev limiter

lol but i just keep on driving.........122K

oh yea now my TOB is whinning