4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which 2V Intake is worth the money??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Which 2V Intake is worth the money??

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: BostonBruins 2003GT

while big numbers are nice on paper, the biggest benefit is the extra flow and extra push in certain (upper) levels of the powerband....it may be a measly 13 or 15 or whatever rwhp, but a nice lower intake on a ported heads/cammed/full exhaust stang is going to let it breath so much better. We all know that a simple catback on these cars does very little for rwhp gain, but you know it helps your cars breathing/revving...thats the more important part
What you are saying is completely illogical... the only reason to get "extra flow and extra push" is to increase CFM into the combustion chamber, so more fuel can be added (while keeping the a/f ratio the same) and thus make more power.

If your not gaining WHP, it isn't doing anything. IMO there isn't a single 4.6L intake out there worth the money... I have yet to see any car pick up more than 15-20 WHP on a intake swap, and the ones that did were usually boosted/cammed etc cars.

The MM&FF test mentioned above only added something like 13 WHP to a boltons/blown/cammed 2v car, and once they added heads + more boost it still did not significantly outperform a stock intake 2v (the ones I have seen anyway). The 4.6L 2v intake just don't deliver.
I know everyone is very skeptical to believe anything they read in a magazine, but the trick flow this is the only manifold that they have tested that has seen any gains without ported heads (boosted or not). The trick Flow is also basically a Bullitt manifold on roids which has proven to be ery beneficial especially in boosted applications.

The problem with intakes on these cars is the intake is not the restriction in the flow. The stock intakes and exhaust manifolds tend to out flow the stock head/cams, which is why there is little documented gains by replacing either on stock head/cam applications.

The intakes for these cars are very new to the market and relatively expensive to other mods, which is why they are not widely accepted. But they are no less worthy of being upgraded than any other component that people upgrade that have been proven time and time again to only deliver single digit hp gains. Especially since they will deliver more gains depending on the other mods (super/turbo/nitrous). Like said above, any gain is very much worth the trouble on the 4.6

So if I dyno 10 underdrive pulley sets, and none of them make any power, then I dyno one set and it makes 2 WHP but it costs 1000 bucks you would buy it?

I read the article, and yes they said that, but the gains are still JUNK. Its easily going to run 1000 bucks by the time you get everything done (intake, gaskets, retune/dyno if needed) and you end up with 13 WHP on a boosted/bolton/cammed car. Whoopde do. no matter how you shake it, your still adding 13 WHP for 1000 bucks, regardless if the other 1000 dollar intakes don't do anything, this one still doesn't do much.

Its simply not worth the coin, there are so many other things you can do with 1000 bucks. Unless your simply loaded and have money to blow, I see no reason to do anything with the intake until your at the forged engine/heads/cams/max boost setup, and even then the gains are not stellar.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM
ninelives19821
2nd Gear Member

This is somthing i have really been looking into due to me being in the market for a metal intake. *plastic one is cracked*[:@] I am leaning twords the P-51 but even foxlake claims a 15-20 rwhp gain on a stock mustang gt. Even if it is bull, i would still feel alot better about not having another plastic intake crack. Plus i would rest a little easier when using a 175 shot of nitrous. Here in the next month or so i will post some dyno numbers for everyone when i get the manifold installed. I'm going to get tuned for a bigger shot of nitrous so i will post N/A numbers and nitrous numbers also.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:13 PM
dylanaller

just put a typhoon on mine with a c&l plenum runs great with my 125 shot
Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dylanaller

just put a typhoon on mine with a c&l plenum runs great with my 125 shot
how great is great? What ETs did it turn before and after and what are your mods? Enlighten us please.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:48 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BostonBruins 2003GT

while big numbers are nice on paper, the biggest benefit is the extra flow and extra push in certain (upper) levels of the powerband....it may be a measly 13 or 15 or whatever rwhp, but a nice lower intake on a ported heads/cammed/full exhaust stang is going to let it breath so much better. We all know that a simple catback on these cars does very little for rwhp gain, but you know it helps your cars breathing/revving...thats the more important part
What you are saying is completely illogical... the only reason to get "extra flow and extra push" is to increase CFM into the combustion chamber, so more fuel can be added (while keeping the a/f ratio the same) and thus make more power.

If your not gaining WHP, it isn't doing anything. IMO there isn't a single 4.6L intake out there worth the money... I have yet to see any car pick up more than 15-20 WHP on a intake swap, and the ones that did were usually boosted/cammed etc cars.

The MM&FF test mentioned above only added something like 13 WHP to a boltons/blown/cammed 2v car, and once they added heads + more boost it still did not significantly outperform a stock intake 2v (the ones I have seen anyway). The 4.6L 2v intake just don't deliver.
I know everyone is very skeptical to believe anything they read in a magazine, but the trick flow this is the only manifold that they have tested that has seen any gains without ported heads (boosted or not). The trick Flow is also basically a Bullitt manifold on roids which has proven to be ery beneficial especially in boosted applications.

The problem with intakes on these cars is the intake is not the restriction in the flow. The stock intakes and exhaust manifolds tend to out flow the stock head/cams, which is why there is little documented gains by replacing either on stock head/cam applications.

The intakes for these cars are very new to the market and relatively expensive to other mods, which is why they are not widely accepted. But they are no less worthy of being upgraded than any other component that people upgrade that have been proven time and time again to only deliver single digit hp gains. Especially since they will deliver more gains depending on the other mods (super/turbo/nitrous). Like said above, any gain is very much worth the trouble on the 4.6

So if I dyno 10 underdrive pulley sets, and none of them make any power, then I dyno one set and it makes 2 WHP but it costs 1000 bucks you would buy it?

I read the article, and yes they said that, but the gains are still JUNK. Its easily going to run 1000 bucks by the time you get everything done (intake, gaskets, retune/dyno if needed) and you end up with 13 WHP on a boosted/bolton/cammed car. Whoopde do. no matter how you shake it, your still adding 13 WHP for 1000 bucks, regardless if the other 1000 dollar intakes don't do anything, this one still doesn't do much.

Its simply not worth the coin, there are so many other things you can do with 1000 bucks. Unless your simply loaded and have money to blow, I see no reason to do anything with the intake until your at the forged engine/heads/cams/max boost setup, and even then the gains are not stellar.

I can see your reasoning. Not wanting to spend 800 for a trick flow kit is understandable. Thats the cost of everything you need for the install. There is really no need to tune especially if you are N/A. There are tons of other things you can do with the money. The problem is that there aren't very many things besides setting the money aside for a blower that is really gonna net you much more anyways.

We all know that the bolt-ons for these cars show little to no gains in general. I don't think underdrive pullies are a good comparison though. They are junk no matter what else you have either way you look at it, and you will have to remove them anyways when you go FI. Not like the intake which will net you more HP the more mods you have. If you look back a few years, MM+FF did another test on a built/blown/cammed/heads 2v and gained 34rwhp from just a bullitt manifold swap.

A fully built cammed, heads, boosted car will show much more than 13rwhp from an intake swap. You won't see that much just on FI, your right. It would be much more beneficial for someone with a completely built/blown car to take advantage of the capabilities of this manifold. But on the same token, people are really quick to recommend LTs for the 2vs which have shown time and time again to only deliver single digit gains even on fully built and blown 2vs.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:57 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

A fully built cammed, heads, boosted car will show much more than 13rwhp from an intake swap. You won't see that much just on FI, your right. It would be much more beneficial for someone with a completely built/blown car to take advantage of the capabilities of this manifold. But on the same token, people are really quick to recommend LTs for the 2vs which have shown time and time again to only deliver single digit gains even on fully built and blown 2vs.

the bad thing with most aftermarket intakes (IMO) is they always brag about the gains but you never hear about the losses. It's funny when you look at a side by side graph of before and after and realize that someone just dropped a ton of cash to lose power through out the bad to get a minimal gain at the end.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:14 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

the bad thing with most aftermarket intakes (IMO) is they always brag about the gains but you never hear about the losses. It's funny when you look at a side by side graph of before and after and realize that someone just dropped a ton of cash to lose power through out the bad to get a minimal gain at the end.
I would love to see one of these cases on a bullitt or trick flow manifold. All of the graphs I've seen for the two haven't showed any substantial losses in the lower rpm range and they have more than make up for it in the upper range. For one they show gains through out the rpm range and also minimize the power drop off at 5500 like with the stocker.

Although, I can really see this happening with a Logan or a Reichard, I have never seen any real losses in down low hp or torque with the TFS or Bullitt.