4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bought a Saleen S351 spoiler today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
There is nothing "big and bulging" about the factory things compared to Saleen stuff. Even though yes it would be great if it was functional. If you put that wing on your car right now, without any type of ground effects it would just look out of place. You said in a earlier thread how you were going for the Bullitt look, I'm pretty sure this would be a step in the opposite direction seeing as to how the 01 Bullitts didn't have a spoiler at all.

But like 02GTman said earlier, it's your car do what you want. If it were me I would've bought the spoiler as well for such a cheap price and used it as barter in a trade or something.
The Saleens didnt use a hood scoop, stock GT has a pretty decent stuck on plastic scoop that stands a good couple inches over the hood.

Saleen side scoops are fanned back in 3 tiers, stock GT scoops are just flat faced and stick straight out from the sides.

Stock GT's have a series of openings in the rear bumper...apparently to allow the impact bar behind it to get some sun...because thats all that is behind it.

I mean it looks sexy as as anything...but the Saleen stuff is a little cleaner and slicker.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:21 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMMY01GT
The Saleens didnt use a hood scoop, stock GT has a pretty decent stuck on plastic scoop that stands a good couple inches over the hood.

Saleen side scoops are fanned back in 3 tiers, stock GT scoops are just flat faced and stick straight out from the sides.

Stock GT's have a series of openings in the rear bumper...apparently to allow the impact bar behind it to get some sun...because thats all that is behind it.

I mean it looks sexy as as anything...but the Saleen stuff is a little cleaner and slicker.
The Saleen body parts are pretty busy. The opposite of clean IMO. I'm not saying that I don't like some of their stuff though.

The spoiler in the other pics isn't all that bad. I'm not a big fan of the two parts extending the length of the trunk lid though.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM
crysalis_01
Banned!

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
Please tell me its not this...

That looks like a retarded 99 spoiler on steroids.
Don't insult the 99/00 wing by comparing it to that thing. They actually look good...once moved back.

As for the Saleen wing in question, I'm with 72mach. Get it on the cheap, clean it up, sell it, profit.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
The Saleen body parts are pretty busy. The opposite of clean IMO. I'm not saying that I don't like some of their stuff though.

The spoiler in the other pics isn't all that bad. I'm not a big fan of the two parts extending the length of the trunk lid though.
With the 3 Saleen spoilers for the 99-04 body, it seems to flow the best.

The 1pc S281 style goes back a little far and starts quite abruptly to be so tall.

The 3pc has the 2 things that run down the sides of the tail lights, not bad looking but the dont follow the lines of the car at all.

The S351 style has the 2 legs the flow up the trunk lid, not a perfect style but of the 3 it is probably the most interesting looking.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

You say the stock GT has a series of openings on the rear bumper..have you seen the back of a Saleen? Not to mention the sideskirts and the front bumper. None of which is functional or "clean" looking. If you are wanting a clean look and the look of an actual Bullitt go no spoiler.

I'm not going to argue with you but bottom line is the only thing Saleen did right exterior wise IMO on the 99-04's are the wheels and on some cars the wing..make that the S281 wing not the 351.

I guess I just don't understand how within a week or two you can go from wanting your car to look like a Bullitt to all of a sudden wanting a wing. Sell it and make a profit like stated before me.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
You say the stock GT has a series of openings on the rear bumper..have you seen the back of a Saleen? Not to mention the sideskirts and the front bumper. None of which is functional or "clean" looking. If you are wanting a clean look and the look of an actual Bullitt go no spoiler.

I'm not going to argue with you but bottom line is the only thing Saleen did right exterior wise IMO on the 99-04's are the wheels and on some cars the wing..make that the S281 wing not the 351.

I guess I just don't understand how within a week or two you can go from wanting your car to look like a Bullitt to all of a sudden wanting a wing. Sell it and make a profit like stated before me.
I dont beleive I ever stated I wanted a Bullitt clone, just made the statement that it wasnt very difficult to make one into a Bullitt clone.

On the Saleen the rear vents are at least "open" with a screen in them, and not just slits pressed up against the foam impact bar.

The Saleen Front bumper is pretty nice, to me.

And an update, the guy says he has the spoiler off his car and has his new spoiler on, but now says it will be monday before he can drop it off to me...figures. Ive been looking forward to this for 2 days and now ive got to wait a whole weekend.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

On the Saleen the rear vents are at least "open" with a screen in them, and not just slits pressed up against the foam impact bar.
On my rear bumper, it is just an opening pressed up against foam. No actual opening.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by badlx87
On my rear bumper, it is just an opening pressed up against foam. No actual opening.
On the Saleen and Saleen Clone I almost bought at the end of last year, the foam was quite a good ways from the openings. and they were real openings with screens over them.

Here is the one I looked at most recently. GT Saleen Clone.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 AM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Thats how my rear bumper is, minus the side vents appearing to be somewhat functional in your pic. The wire mesh is there, as well as that foam lol. I don't care tho, it looks clean.