4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

1992 SVO motor swap help. Expert turboers help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
MilkMachine

Default 1992 SVO motor swap help. Expert turboers help please.

Hi, I am in the process of dropping a 85 2.3L Turbo that is stroked and bored to a 2.5 in my 1992 mustang LX with a 4-banger. I have the motor and the turbo and everything I need but I build small/big blocks and have never came across a turbo build. I'm stuck on a few things that or probably really easy but I gotta learn sometimes. Here or the pics followed by my questions. any help would be appreciated.

There is the overview of my setup in the first picture.

In the second picture I have my return oil line that is not pressurized but by the feed. I have this fabricated temp. but does this look ok? I know its long and it does have a loop. Will this WORK?

Third Picture has a couple things im confused about. There is a threaded hole in the side of the block. What goes there? and is the brass fitting on the top right for my oil pressure guage?

Fourth Picture is my upperintake manifold. I cant seem to figure out were these vaccum hoses go. Any ideas? Diagrams?

Fith picture is my o so simple Therm. housing. But were would the 2nd nozzle connect to?

And last but not least the sixth picture is an unknown complonent to me. What is it and how do I hook it up? a picture?

I know these may be pretty ez questions and i feel like a n00b. but first turbo app. planning on dropping in next week. ANY ADVICE WILL BE HELPFUL.

Thanks so much please help

Andrew

Wouldnt let me attach pictures heres the link to them THANKS

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...lp-please.html
Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MilkMachine
Hi, I am in the process of dropping a 85 2.3L Turbo that is stroked and bored to a 2.5 in my 1992 mustang LX with a 4-banger. I have the motor and the turbo and everything I need but I build small/big blocks and have never came across a turbo build. I'm stuck on a few things that or probably really easy but I gotta learn sometimes. Here or the pics followed by my questions. any help would be appreciated.

There is the overview of my setup in the first picture.

In the second picture I have my return oil line that is not pressurized but by the feed. I have this fabricated temp. but does this look ok? I know its long and it does have a loop. Will this WORK?

It wont work because it dosen't run down hill, I would re-route it so it flows down all the time.

Third Picture has a couple things im confused about. There is a threaded hole in the side of the block. What goes there? and is the brass fitting on the top right for my oil pressure guage?

The bottom fitting is for a water temp gauge fitting. The top is for the oil pressure

Fourth Picture is my upperintake manifold. I cant seem to figure out were these vaccum hoses go. Any ideas? Diagrams?

The one under your TB goes to the PCV system, the big one with an R is connected to the vacuum tree, and the little one above that goes to your FPR

Fith picture is my o so simple Therm. housing. But were would the 2nd nozzle connect to?

That goes to a water line that cools the turbo and goes to your intake/oil cooler

And last but not least the sixth picture is an unknown complonent to me. What is it and how do I hook it up? a picture?

That one I don't knw, still running an internal wastegate myself, but if you look around at turbo cars with it you should be able to figure out which goes where

I know these may be pretty ez questions and i feel like a n00b. but first turbo app. planning on dropping in next week. ANY ADVICE WILL BE HELPFUL.

Thanks so much please help

Andrew

Wouldnt let me attach pictures heres the link to them THANKS

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...lp-please.html
Hope this has helped you a little
Old 05-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

6th picture is a external type wastegate, it regulates maximum boost pressure. the 2 fittings are hooked up to sources of boost/vacuum. research this very important!!! wiki google

youd better have a upgraded fuel pump and regulator for that turbo. also get some normal pictures up. also i think u have a ranger motor there, judging by ac brackets, tensions, and pullies on your motor, also your ps bracket... and the resistor hanging right beside your valve cover which leads me to believe it was coilpacked...
who did u get this motor from? nice turbo on it though.

That drain line wil not work like that you either need a straight fitting on the turbo you gotta readjust it and cut some extra length off. it needs to be straight down or the oil needs to be able to drain freely as it is not pressurized but a drain its thats a turbo block there should be a fitting or hole on that side of the block, and if not it was never turbo just has a turbo valve cover, and header and turbo. i wouldnt be suprised if it has cast pistons.

pic of factory turbo block oil drain fitting
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/315/picccu.jpg

edit aginnn
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html

"The oil outlet should be plumbed to the oil pan above the oil level (for wet sump systems). Since the oil drain is gravity fed, it is important that the oil outlet points downward, and that the drain tube does not become horizontal or go “uphill” at any point."

Last edited by Mthd11; 05-24-2009 at 09:06 PM.