Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4 Cylinder NA and Turbo
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
regulator1

Vehicle: 1993 Ford Mustang
Default 1993 Mustang LX tranny? Torque converter problems?

I recently purchased a 1993 Ford Mustang and it has major tranny problems. When you put it in gear (Drive) it takes a lot of gas to get the car to move. When you stop and put it in park, it still feels like it is in gear. It feels like it wants to go forward but the parking pawl is stopping it. It also has no reverse. Could this be torque converter problems? I took the pan off and when the gear selector is moved from gear to gear, the valves seem to be moving freely in the valve body. The fluid was red and had no smell to it other then transmission fluid smell, not burnt. There was no metal attached to the magnet in the pan as well. I am stumped, any and all help would be appreciated..
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
regulator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
regulator1

I guess nobody knows...:-(
Old 03-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
F1aReD
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to F1aReD

Hi regulator1

It sounds to me like you're going to need your tranny rebuilt. Does it leak any fluid? These trannys are well known for being weak and having leaky front seals. They're just not a very strong transmission, 99% of the time they will need to be rebuilt...and the fact that you have no reverse and stuff...doesn't sound good.

I would take your car to a qualified tranny shop and have them check it out. Maybe it is just your torque converter, but I highly doubt it...and, if you have to pull your tranny you might as well rebuild it anyways.

Just google a4ld transmission problems...Check out my sig, mine leaked and had to be rebuilt. Actually, mine was ONLY leaking from the front seal..it shifted through all the gears flawlessly, just leaked like crazy. I have test driven other mustangs that didn't shift or that jumped gears, etc though.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
regulator1

Thats kind of what I thought.I am going topull it out tomorow and have it rebuilt.. Thanks a million for replying...
Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement