5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 swap project help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 PM
tcxtreme

Default 5.0 swap project help

I am along with a Mustang II front suspension going to be swapping in a 5.0 into my '40 ford truck. I have been attempting to do my homework prior to avoid making the mistakes others probally have. As of yesterday I was set on a 90 or 91 stang 5.0 and AOD. Though this and another site I gathered that these years had beefier tranny parts, the much desired MAF and possibally factory forged pistons. At this time other than a rebuild and a possible cam up grade (which I am open to suggestions)I do not see the need for monster horsepower. The truck now has the typical hot rod carbed 350 and is plenty fast with 3.42 gears. It also weights next to nothing. I just want to return it to all ford and love the mustang sound. I plan on a tranny rebuild, 3000 stall converter, transgo shift kit and changing the gear to 4.10. Even though I am rather sure that it will just smoke the tires of a light. All coming from 12 hours of hunting last nite. Now for the delema after searching through about 15 wrecking yards in my area none were to be found. However after explaning my plan to one of them they said they would make me a "deal" and let me take home a whole car and pull everything needed to do the swap and return the car. They only have two right now that make good donors a 89 and a 94. Any benifits or drawbacks to either? Both have about 100,000 and for their asking price of $500 is it worth passing up to stick with a 90 or 91? I really enjoy reading the responses and you imput is greatly helpful.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
tcxtreme

Default RE: 5.0 swap project help

Where did I go wrong no one has an reply???
Old 05-11-2006, 02:48 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Trust me when I say, its very hard to even get an answer, or a reply to your question(s) on this forum. That being said, its even harder to get a straight forward answer out of people, even if they DO answer/reply.

By that I mean I can post a simple question that should only require a yes, or no answer for something, and have 50 people view the thread, and nobody reply...

If people are nice enough to reply to something such as "Will xxx will fit my car" they wont give you a straight forward answer, usually its more along the lines of "man, xxx really sucks, you should have gone with yyy instead" when you werent even asking for an opinion on xxx, you were just wondering if it fit your car!!!.

That being said, I dont have an answer to your question. My suggestion would be to find a local that specializes in classic rod building, or find a forum online that is directed toward classic rod building. Sorry i dont have a better answer for you. I dont mean to come accross as a smartash or such, its just i'm a member of many forums, some that I even 'contribute' towards cause I feel the quality of the forum is high enough and it has more than earned its worth for me to be a free member and I feel that I enjoy it enough to pay to use it. This forum just seems like the most difficult one I've ever been on. I'm not bashing the forum by ANY means, I do enjoy coming here and reading, and find a wealth of information already on the forum, and that members share. Its just the fact that it takes so much 'coaxing' for lack of a better term, to get an answer here, especially when you need it in a timely manner and this is your only resource.

:::steps down from soapbox:::

-- OJM/NREMT-P
Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

As far as motors go, I would go with the 89. As for being different than the one you wanted(internals), I don't think it will be a big deal if you plan on a rebuild anyways. I hear the the 94 motor is less desireable, but will work fine aswell.