Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang
Default RE: help!! overheating

when does it overheat?? sitting still at idle or at cruise down the road?? after replacing t-stat you did bleed cooling system/purge of all air by running it with heat on until heat was good and hot right??
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
1mustang

it does it at idle and after a 15-20 min ride...and yes i bled the system
Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

so no overheat while cruising down the road right?? just after a drive and sitting still?? if so make sure condensor in front of radiator and radiator fins are all free of any dirt/ debris and it most likely in such instances is a bad clutch fan..= replace an restest and cheap insurance is a new radiator cap also

Quote:
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
1mustang

it did do it once going down the road...what concerns me is a lack of fluid...or i cant feel the fluid going threw the top hose as well as seeing no cerculation in the radiator
Old 03-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 88 LX 5.0

i say it's a fan clutch... also a bad fan clutch can cause a water pump to fail... i would replace both.

306 Eagle crank, rods, and forged pistons
Edelbrock preformer upper and lower
BBK 70 MM throttle body
Edelbrock preformer RPM heads
Walbro 255lph High Pressure Fuel Pump
Ford Racing 47lb Injectors (EV6)
Ford Motorsport "B" cam
MSD pro billet / MSD 6AL
Converted to mass air
Makes 7.5 pounds of boost
3.73 gears
T5... for now
thunderjet429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #16
1mustang

ok...im really confused about the whole fan clutch thing....ive checked for loosness and there is none..it seems to work as it should
Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
mustang86cars
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I missed your message, just got back online. I also noticed that you have undersized pulleys, I've heard this can be an issue. Also, you could have a air pocket in the system, this will prevent the fluid from flowing. I would stick to the basics, I would start with a flush and refill.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #18
1mustang

hey mustang 86...no underdrive pullies...that was on my 91...i bled or burped the system....no air pockets...leaning towards water pump now...as there is no flow that i can see and i dont feel any rushing threw the upper hose when its running
Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

^^^^^you can't feel it rush through the hose only a temp change[&:]..make sure t-stat is in correctly and operational...if for some reason t-stat won't open = no flow occurs ..don't assume cause a part is new it works.....I have 10 + cases to prove such assumption wrong

Quote:
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988 Mustang Vert

I would like to add my 2 cents as well.

Belt tension and condition is aitemto check but from the sounds you probably already checked.
I hate clutch fans,fan blade does not spin at the same rate as pully unlessthe by bi-metalexpands with heatbringing it toclose to 1 to 1. One way to "check" it although I don't know if it is accurate is see how freely you can spin it by hand after the engine has run hot. (ENGINE OFF OF COURSE)It should not spin veryeasy. May want to invest in a flex fan.

Other points, and I know I have done this before, are you sure you installed the tstat correctly?..... as in not backwards. If you are worried about flow and not seeing the swirl, pull the tstat out and bolt back up the housing with the tstat out, start the engine and look in therad. You will see flow now, hopefully......Witht he tstat out let it run for a while, past the 15 - 20min mark to seeif it is overheating.... if so the issue is somewhere else, if notreplace tstat. Also if the new tstat does not have a air hole already in it, drill one, it helps.
1994 Suz GSXR 750W (Too Cold)
2000 Pont Grand Am (POS) catch on fire already
2000 Mits Eclipse GT (upcoming rebuild)
2007 Kaw Ninja 250 (GF's)
brentloftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1995, 50, 91, cat, clogged, end, flow, gt, heating, kit, mustang, overheating, pump, top, trick, water