5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Steeda vs MaxMotorsports Subframe connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda vs MaxMotorsports Subframe connectors?

Well, here I sit, paralyzed. I was ready to order the MaxMotorsports chassis-stiffening bits, and then I started to second-guess myself. I've been in touch with the folks at MAxMo, and they seem sharp and very helpful. My long-term intentions ideally include complete suspension rebuild, coilovers etc. to modernize the ride and handling all I can.

The reason for my worry? I don't have the welding experience, and the instructions for the MaxMo full length convertible units seem to be fairly complex, or at least, call for some precision. I can't find any Fox-specific intstrux for the Steedas, so I can't really compare. I'm sure either brand would make a huge difference, but my feeling is, the more steps, the more chances for error in getting it right.

Anybody with experience installing either or both? I know it's probably goofy, but I would almost feel better with a bolt-in connector that I then took in for welding- just figuring that as the owner, I'm more worried than anybody about how well it's installed.

The other issue I thought of- Is there ANY potential incompatibilty between the various brands? It wouldn't seem so with something like this, but you never know....

Am I just overthinking all this?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

yes you are overthinking. Both co's are great but if you plan on doing more, like a torque arm 3 link set up from MM id go with their subframe connectors because there made to go hand in hand.

If you are worried about the install, pay someone to weld them in.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

The total steps involved in installing these kits.... Well, if you are bolting in and then welding, which is unnecessary, that's going to be more steps. The MM full length subs are both longer and have a much larger cross section than the steeda ones. They are almost steel 2.5x2 inches whereas the steedas look like 2x1's. Both have steel pieces that bolt onto the front seat rear bolts on the underbody of the car, which are then welded to the subframes. Welding is not really that challenging, your biggest issue would be the cost of buying/renting a welder, then practicing a bit. Finding a shop to do these, unless a performance shop, is a bit tricky. They have to be welded on while the suspension is loaded, which means if u find a shop, they need to have a drive on lift or are willing to put blocks under the wheels to gain clearance and weld from their(not likely, that's how I did mine in my garage).

As ponyboy said, the Max Motorsports rear torque arm setup, which looks like a tubular triangle, has two mounts that fit onto the MM subframes and these mounts are shaped so that they fit over the MM subs. The steeda ones would not work for that.

The MM frames fit very well to the underbody of the car, your biggest challenge probably would be any crushed subframe parts due to improper jacking of the car in its past.