5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP: Coolant consumption, sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Default HELP: Coolant consumption, sometimes

I have a 94GT with a built engine, 331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, trick flow intake, and a D1SC.
Recently when i start the car (only sometimes) it seems hydrolocked and after the car warms up it will smoke white real bad for 2-3mins then go away. It seems to do this more on a cold start, but does not always do it. I have driven it off and on and the problem is intermitant.

The issue just started happening, i have about 6000miles on the engine and this is new.

Do you think it can be a intake manifold gasket leak?

How would i know if its the head gasket leaking into the cylinders vice the intake manifold.

What stumps me is the problem is intermitant and when it floods with coolant it can be BAD, like it wont crank, other times i wont notice it until i get 3miles down the road and the exhaust is burning it off and smoking white, then it clears up. It like its leaking down when sitting and not running.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

It is getting into the cylinders somehow. If it never runs hot, it probably is the intake gasket. If the head gasket is the problem, the coolant gets into the combustion chamber and combustion chamber gases get into the coolant system which would cause the car to overheat.

If you get the intake off and that isn't it, take the heads off. If it isn't there, it must be in the block or heads themselves. The only other way I can think of it getting in there is through the throttle body spacer but, I highly doubt it.

Although I have never seen it happen to a mustang, I have seen other cars do this. If you let it sit for a long time, the cylinder will fill with water and when you try to crank it with the plugs still in, it will actually bend a rod. Like I say, I have seen it on v-6 chevys with the plastic intake on top but, not a stang.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 11-21-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
It is getting into the cylinders somehow. If it never runs hot, it probably is the intake gasket. If the head gasket is the problem, the coolant gets into the combustion chamber and combustion chamber gases get into the coolant system which would cause the car to overheat.

If you get the intake off and that isn't it, take the heads off. If it isn't there, it must be in the block or heads themselves. The only other way I can think of it getting in there is through the throttle body spacer but, I highly doubt it.

Although I have never seen it happen to a mustang, I have seen other cars do this. If you let it sit for a long time, the cylinder will fill with water and when you try to crank it with the plugs still in, it will actually bend a rod. Like I say, I have seen it on v-6 chevys with the plastic intake on top but, not a stang.
Well the car does not overheat. It seems to always run cool. Is there a way i can pressure test the cooling system, or will that not tell me anything because it is an intermitant problem. Same goes for the compression check. I never see the the radiator getting nasty like a milkshake. Everything seems fine, execpt of the leak. I would like to know what it is before i tear it down and hunt, because if i cant find anything then i am really stuck
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Yeah, you can pressure test it. A parts store may even have one you can borrow.

If you have access to air pressure, take the plugs out and blow the holes out with air. If water comes out, there you go.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:15 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

OP, it seem's you don't know what hydrolock is. A truly hydrolocked engine will not spin, at all, whatsoever.
Your issue seems to fit along the lines of an intake gasket leak.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
OP, it seem's you don't know what hydrolock is. A truly hydrolocked engine will not spin, at all, whatsoever.
Your issue seems to fit along the lines of an intake gasket leak.
Well we shall see. So should i just pressurize the cooling system and see if it holds pressure. If it doesnt than it is def the intake gasket and not the head gasket? Couldnt a drop in pressure still be a head gasket?

Or should i do a compression check?

Or a leakdown test?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

With a pressure tester hooked up, the pressure will rise on the pressure tester with the engine running after you get it to cap pressure. That is why they boil over. Like you said, it is not overheating so that probably isn't it.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

ok thanks. I will get the tester and start with that. Then tear the intake manifold off and hope to find a gasket leak. IT may be hard to spot since th engine has only 6000miles on it, i bet everything still looks like new.
Thank You for the help so far