5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New/Rebuilt Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I guess Ill just apologize for not being hardcore enough. Anybody wanna race this spring? track should be open soon! It would suck losing to someone who's not hardcore.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 AM
lukehayter4

No need for hostility. We're getting side-tracked. I have a couple of opinions on Astro Transmissions, but I need somebody who actually owns one to tell me how they are. The T-5's, not the A-5's. If I could afford an A-5, I would just buy a TKO.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by lukehayter4
I have heard of them before, but I don't know anyone who's bought from them before. My second car I've ever owned was a mustang. I bought it just as soon as I got out of the army, and I've never owned a different car since. I've never bought a rebuilt transmission before, so I've got cold feet. You can't blame me for not wanting to spend that much cash on something I'm unsure of. I've done some research, and I get mixed reviews on them. Some people say they're garbage, and others say they're great. So I'm just looking for some reassurance. Now as far as not being an enthusiast just because you haven't heard of Astro? Now that seems a little extreme. I don't think they're exactly the 'Brett Favre' of transmission guys. I heard of D&D and G-force long before I had ever heard of Astro Performance. Can someone who has actually purchased and run a Astro transmission give me some feedback?
plenty of people on the corral.net running them in 10 sec cars and they are the sychcroed version..........bad reviews come from those who use the base model in a overpowered ride.............d and d is way overpriced and reliability is less than steller and g-force gear cuts are noise crap.......I speak from experience on those as I have a few customers with them, I'm currently building an a-5 for my 85gt......taking out the tremec 3550 it currently has that is in excellent shape and has no issues, other than it's a tremec and is just like all the tremecs out there = notchy, heavier than a t-5 by a good 30-40 lbs and sucks ***** when trying to shift in the higher rpms......a stock 300 ft lb t-5 worked better than any tremec I've ever used/worked on.

read this thread......tinman4708 is just one of the many over there using an a5.......his times are in his sig:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...dyno-s-11.html

Last edited by mjr46; 02-05-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:43 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

No need for hostility. We're getting side-tracked. I have a couple of opinions on Astro Transmissions, but I need somebody who actually owns one to tell me how they are. The T-5's, not the A-5's. If I could afford an A-5, I would just buy a TKO.
so what are you looking at.......stockish t-5's now?? an a-5 is basically a t-5, same look externally just heavier duty components internally, same platform.......if what you're looking at are factory t-5 stuff the best you'll get is a z-spec 2.95 first gear t-5......I run one in my 89 vert..... just put down nearly 600 rwhp.........but I don't race it on the track....well I did once and the tranny held on a moderate launch, but I don't push the envelop....the z-spec is the strongest you'll get in oem form..........I rebuild them and usually sell them for 8-900 bucks. After havig owned and used a tremec, I'd never opt for one of them over a heavy duty t-5 based build ever again
Old 02-05-2015, 01:31 PM
lukehayter4

Okay, here's the deal. I feel as if I'm getting nowhere, so let me give a little more detail to clear things up. I've very aware of the difference in the A-5's and the T-5's. My car is not a monster, or a drag car (yet). I know the story of being patient and saving my money to get a better transmission. The fact is that I only have this one car at the moment, so its my daily driver. It has gotten borderline undriveable, due to the transmission. I just need a decent transmission to last me for about 6months to a year. The reason I wanted rebuilt and not used, is because a lot of rebuilt ones come with some sort of warranty. I would obviously "like" a better transmission now, as it would save me money in the future, but that isn't an option right now, or I wouldn't have made this post. I'm sure some of you don't have these issues, but seeing as how I got laid off not long ago, I'm running into a little trouble. So there you have it. The title of my post isn't "What aftermarket performance transmission should I upgrade my race car with?" I will get a better transmission for my piece of junk once I get back on my feet, and get a little cash put back. I have about $1500-1600 maximum to spend whether anyone thinks it's good enough or not. Any more than that, and I'll be losing some weight.

Last edited by lukehayter4; 02-05-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Okay, here's the deal. I feel as if I'm getting nowhere,.
then pay attention!@! There are not many places apart from flea bay that sell reman t-5's ready to go for your year specific......there is another place like hanolon motorsports that'll rebuild your but I'm sure you don't want the down time.....there is d and d performance but they don't stock your year specific and they mainly do performance applications and there is g-force but they are way out of your budget.....the reason I recommended astro performance is they sell performance versions as well as reman stock units....I repeat they sell reman stock units that don't have cheap china parts in them which is what you don't want based on your first post. Astro is one of the few places that does the t-5 on all levels and is reputable.........if you don't like them there are not many other places out there I'd trust. Here are some in your price range and even the one that has upgraded parts fits your budget and year:

http://www.astroperformance.com/adva...315419c8dd3285

there is also this place but you have to send your core in:

http://www.pro-forceperformance.com/t-5.htm

or this on ebay and no china parts in it is the claim:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPS-HD-REBUILT-94-95-GT-COBRA-5-0-MUSTANG-WORLD-CLASS-T5-TRANSMISSION-TREMEC-/111111566900?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item19dec3f634&vxp=mtr
there really isn't to many places out there I'd trust.....or it's rebuild yours which really it's not hard....at least for me it's not...anyway good luck.