Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Where do I start?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Rebel Mustang

Default Where do I start?????

Well I'm new and I need help.As most people I am financially unable to shop out my repair work on my 66 coupe.What I need to Know is,if I need to replace the floorpans and the front frame rails or whatever their called,which first?Is ther any special precautions I need to know?One piece floorpan or sections?Will the car separate or something?I don't want to start cutting stuff out without knowing what to do.Plus I can't afford to buy everything at once.I've got the tools I just need some direction.The shock towers are in great shape.Also the section just past the shock towers look pretty good.It's the next section and the floorpans.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Where do I start?????

Well the first thing I would do is make a list on needs to be done on the car to get it in great shape. Or start off on a list that what you want to do to the car. then take it in steps. To get to the floor pans it's a good idea to take everything off as much as you can before looking at cutting. (carpets, seats, under the carpet pads...ect, ect.) Then really get a good look at how bad your metal is. If you can repair it or have to take it out and put a new one in. Another good thing to try and found out is Colw pans, if your getting major leek through those your going to keep having rust problems with the floor pans. Right now I am working on cutting out floor pans in my 67 and trying to get around having to remove or work on the frame rails. I will let you know how that turns out if you like when I get it cutt out. Also is a goof idea to look under the carpets and everywhere else you can to see if rust is starting in odd places. Then you can get some rust stopper and fix it before it gets bad.

Another good thing about taking steps is it's lighter on the cash. figure out what you want and then put it into groups. Interior, Exterior, Enigine, ect. And the best deal for cost and good parts I find is at http://www.mustangsunlimited.com. If you have some other questions just let me know by PM or msn, I'll try and get back to you as soon as time lets me. Busy man working on that Classic! 8-)

Good luck