Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Classic Mustang Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Classic Mustang Repairs

I've put mine on the back burner for the time being. I need to move forward with my life. I need to get my business jumping, get a place with a garage, and I'll prolly get married before I really sit down and do massive work to it. I'm sure I'll fix the head and get it to a point where I can drive it down the road before than, but I want to get married and have a baby a little more than I want the car to be finished. I can hold off and maybe make it a father child project.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rlbjrcpa

Maybe it's just because I am an accountant by day playing the part of a Mustang mechanic nights and weekends, but it really seems like every project I have tackled end up being more difficult than I planned it to be.

My new way to budget time for repairs is to take the number of hours I initially think it will take and multiply by 4 - that usually gets me close.

But I have to say that no matter how long it takes, it's great to be able to say I did it myself!

I know what your saying. What's even worse is when every repair seems to lead to one more repair. Just this weekend, I pulled the Mustang out of the garage onto our gravel driveway because I was planning on replacing the heater hoses and draining the radiator since I didn't know when it had last been done (bought the car about 3 months ago). Quick and easy job, right? Well when I went to disconnect the heater hose at the water pump, the flange on the water pump snapped off just above where it connects to the pump body. Seems the water pump had a corrosion problem. So now I go down to the local Autozone to get a new water pump. When I get back, I find that I need to remove the alternator due to having AC (per Haynes Manual, my Shop Manual doesn't even acknowledge that the Mustang has a water pump[:-]). First I snap off the bolt that allows you to adjust the position of the alternator then I practically snap my arm off trying to remove the main bolt attaching the alternator to the block (it wasn't tight in the block just very tight going through the alternator case). Once I think that I have all of the bolts removed from the water pump, I find one more buried behind a tensioner pulley bracket, power steering bracket, and AC bracket. Now I've taken all of these brackets off, removed the water pump, placed the new water pump, cleaned and replaced most of the brackets, and I still haven't put on the new heater hoses, removed the now snapped off bolt from the alternator case, or even put on new belts (I figured what the heck, I already had almost all of the brackets and accessories off anyway). Did I mention it's now Monday. And, did I mention that you should take a picture of something BEFORE you start to tear it apart (most of the brackets are in place, one I can't remember where it goes[&:]) to make it easier to put back together?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I bought mine in March and with usual wanting to get things done right way - one repair led to another - I've come to grips that this is a multi year projectand have fun with it My approach is car is 30 years old might as well approach as much as you can while your at repairs. For example car had a gunked up carb when I bought -no fuel filter - Instead of just rebuilding carb - changed tank, fuel pump, put stainless lines, and sending unit.