Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

NOT MY BABY!! **Update**

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Default NOT MY BABY!! **Update**

So I talked to the insurance guy this morning and my doctor. I guess I pulled a bunch of ligaments in my back and it's going to take 3 weeks to a month to heal, but I'm ok overall and it shouldn't have any lasting effects. The insurance guy said that they weren't going to total it. I have to take it to a shop to have the frame checked just to make sure it's not tweaked, but based on the visual inspection, they said it didn't look like it was. The claims adjuster ended up being really cool about it because he knows Mustangs and said a buddy of his has a BOSS 302 so he knows how much work they can be and what they're worth.

They're still in the process of writing an estimate on the damage, but so far it's in excess of $3k and keeps getting higher. The damage is on the fender (obviously), the hood, the cowel, driver door, and everything on the front end likegrille, bumper, valance etc(not including the suspension stuff). Now for the silver lining, with the amount of the damage and the repair costs, I think I can get reproduction parts (as opposed to the original Ford tooling) and do the body work myself which will leave enough left over to get a new paint job on the entire car! If you didn't notice the car was a teal color (unfortunately IMO). I'm thinking of going with a dark charcoal grey (I've seen it on the new F-150's) with a fat black racing stipe down the middle and a 1/2" one on either side.

The money I'll have for the new paint job also doesn't include whatever I get for "pain and suffering" though. Actually, I'm not even sure how to value something like that. Any ideas?

While they didn't have a new Mustang in stock, they rented me a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with the Hemi in it to drive until I get the Stang back so that's been fun.

As to how it happend, she was on the opposite side of the street where there was a sign that said right turn only, but she turned left across three lanes of opposing traffic that was bumper to bumper and pulled through into my lane without even looking so I barely even had time to skid a little before the damage was done.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Default RE: NOT MY BABY!! **Update**

By the way, one thing I gave the adjuster that helped with the value was the NADA value on classic muscle cars which showed average retail for a '68 with a 302.

Thursday, January 11, 2007[/align]

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail

$6,025 $12,150 $19,500

Options 302/230 HP V8 Engine 10%10% 10%

TOTAL PRICE $6,628 $13,365 $21,450
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...7303&da=-1
Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

Yeah that NADA value guide is awesome, I have one in the glovebox for mine just WAITING for that day.

Well, seems like your baby will come out better for all this trouble, though might take a while...

BTW you can claim all your medical expenses/treatments too...

Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

show me that money
Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

At the risk of sounding litigious, I'd expect some compensation for your pain and suffering due to the accident. I'm not talking about trying to squeeze every nickel out of the insurance company and looking for a free meal, but a just amount for your actual injuries. Backpain is nothing to sneeze at and ths may be the beginning of something that could last long term. Also, stay away from the cheap import body panels. I have one on my right front fender that is going to get replaced because they fit like @$$.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Hopefully the Ins. company will just cut you a check and say have a nice day, however, it'd not surprise me if they want to be a pecker head and cut the check to whatever shop is giving the final estimate.

Please keep us posted.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

wow that guide is pretty nifty....my car is worth quite a bit more than i thought mid 20's
Old 01-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tdlabru

So I talked to the insurance guy this morning and my doctor. I guess I pulled a bunch of ligaments in my back and it's going to take 3 weeks to a month to heal, but I'm ok overall and it shouldn't have any lasting effects.
Whadd I tell ya? Ya messed up your back.

Not trying to laugh at your injury as I pulled my back out just over a year ago and it is NO JOKE!!!

I hope it all works out for ya man! Keep us posted!!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 PM
middiepride
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

ORIGINAL: tdlabru

So I talked to the insurance guy this morning and my doctor. I guess I pulled a bunch of ligaments in my back and it's going to take 3 weeks to a month to heal, but I'm ok overall and it shouldn't have any lasting effects.
Whadd I tell ya? Ya messed up your back.

Not trying to laugh at your injury as I pulled my back out just over a year ago and it is NO JOKE!!!

I hope it all works out for ya man! Keep us posted!!
+1 i hope recovery is as quick as possible b/c those back injuries can be crippling for some stuff