Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Trunk mount battery- Opinions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:58 PM
JamesW

Default RE: Trunk mount battery- Opinions needed!

I poked a hole in the upper edge of the inner wheel well. The vent tube just pokes in there.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 AM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

Just remember - the stock battery / stock location is adequate. Once you increase the load (in this case much more resistance due to the longer cables) you must factor the load and have a more powerful battery. Measure the resistance of thestock cable and the total new longer ones (both pos and neg).
Old 01-09-2008, 07:14 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure that I would run welder cable due to its insulation being soft. A "cross linked polyethylene"insulation would be much better and is common to marine applications. Be sure to use grommets to insure that the holes cut in the metal don't cut into the cable. Relocating the battery really helps with the weight distrubution. Also, I seen a nice aluminum mounting bracket in the "Summit" magazine for the Optima,or in a kit.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...p;y=7&x=29
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: falconfixer

Just remember - the stock battery / stock location is adequate. Once you increase the load (in this case much more resistance due to the longer cables) you must factor the load and have a more powerful battery. Measure the resistance of thestock cable and the total new longer ones (both pos and neg).
When you run a remote battery like that you have to use much thicker cables than you normally would to account for the increased length. You don't need a more powerful battery, you need to reduce resistance or risk melting a wire.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

I guess I don't know why everyone is so hot to put their batteries in the trunk for a daily driver. I have several reasons why I'm NOT putting mine in the trunk:

1. Most people couldn't tell the handling difference anyway, and for daily driving it's fine anyway.
2. You lose trunk space. Remember you need to take your cooler and lawn chairs to those cruise night events.
3. If you ever get rear ended, you are putting the biggest spark producer (battery) next to the biggest fuel source (gas tank). We hope that doesn't happen, but I've been rear ended twice in my 26 years of driving.
4. You have extra cost involved.
5. You have to vent the battery properly especially if using a "wet" battery.

That's my opinion anway.

John B.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I did it so I could use the old battery location for all my electric ignition MSD stuff. A controller, tach converter, and coil take up a lot of room. The old battery location really works well and will keep your ignition parts cool. Trunk space, who needs it with a fold down rear seat!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

I am using welding cable. I've been a welder for 24 years. I've pulled lead through a countless boilers and powerplants, and feel it will do just fine mounted with rubber insulated straps in my car. I want to mount the battery in the trunk to make room for the supercharger when that day comes...
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
gibsonxplayer88
2nd Gear Member

i have the battery in the trunk of my 67, though ive yet to figure out how its wired since it was there when i bought the car. its kinda nice and frees up a lot of space under the hood.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
JamesW

I used this kit: Plently long enough.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Having it encased in a hard plastic case helps