Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

our backwards resto...66 vert...PART II

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 AM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: our backwards resto...66 vert...PART II

Old 07-08-2008, 07:28 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

little video
http://good-times.webshots.com/video...02416475iEJXCn

well, i am praying hard core to the car gods,...

i removed the tranny one more time,...removed the oil gallery plug,...screwed in a tap till it stopped,..then turned it two more full times, cleaned out the hole with a pipe cleaner and acetone, installed new plug, and tightened that M Fer, this is the tightest i have gotten the plug, sanded the area, cleaned again with acetone, put some jb weld around the plug, and put it all back together,...

now i noticed that all around the rear main was soaked in oil and the rear oil pan gasket, but i think this is from the oil that was coming from the plug,...atleast i am hoping,...but i cleaned the whole back of the motor before i put it back together,...

going to let it sit for a week to set, i dont want to take any chances,...and ill try firing it up again next week,...if it is still leaking,..ill have to deal with it at this point and move on with the build, i can not let this hold me up any longer,..this is now the 4th time i have pulled the trans in a month,..time wasted!,...

i also can not figure out this motor mount situation,...i ordered a 5th set of mounts,...two regualr style and two tall convertible style,...the tall ones were the ones i already have installed,...so i guess they were the correct mounts,,...i am going to remove the oil pan, and head to my buddies so we can heat it cherry red and put a tunnel in it,...

and still waiting on my brake flare tool so i can finish one line,..and should be able to make it to the end of the street atelast
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

At least you can pull a tranny with your eyes closed now! Think of all the things you've learned along the way, which is the best way to learn. You'll have this car running before too long and look back on this project. It will all be worth it. Good job andkeep up the good work! I am just entering the realm of the "reinstall" phase, as soon as I get it back from body and paint, hopefully next month.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 AM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zmetalmilitia

At least you can pull a tranny with your eyes closed now! Think of all the things you've learned along the way, which is the best way to learn. You'll have this car running before too long and look back on this project. It will all be worth it. Good job andkeep up the good work! I am just entering the realm of the "reinstall" phase, as soon as I get it back from body and paint, hopefully next month.
thats the best phase.
haha. the final stretch.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 AM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

i will say this is the most i have learned in a long time, i have worked on cars for about 9 years now, but never got this far into anything,...

i was always scurd of touching electrical stuff in fear of blowing something up, but this car has tought me how to look at wiring diagrams and figure some of it out,...

i have pulled porsche transmissions and subaru transmissions, but never muscle cars, and never myself, i always made sure to have someone there that had more experience then me! and now i can get the tranny out in just about a hour and ten minutes myself,...,..i am hoping and praying this was the last time,...

i wont know till this weekend,..ill be sure to post a video up

i am getting tierd of working on it, i just want to burn some rubber and **** off some neighbors![8D]