Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Master Cylinder/Brake Lines/ETC

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Summer Driver

Default 1965 Master Cylinder/Brake Lines/ETC

Hi All,

I new here but having grown up with Mustangs, I have a little weak spot for them. Anyhow, this is my first Mustang (technically, it's my wife's.... I'm known as the caretaker!). Due to an unfortunate experience the first time my wife was behind the wheel, I'll be replacing brake lines and installing a dual res. master cylinder. The car is a 1965 Coupe, 289, auto, a/c, pony, single exhaust, manual drum brakes. I'm not looking to make this into a show car but rather just something reliable and respectable. With that said, does anyone have any tips on this conversion? I'm thinking of purchasing a 'full' s.s. brake line kit but I am assuming that since I'm installing a different master cylinder, I should not buy the kit for the 65 but rather some other year.(?)

Thanks for your input,
Bob
Old 06-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 1965 Master Cylinder/Brake Lines/ETC

You can look up top and read the Granada swap to get some helpful information, or you cn read this article which has some valuable information for you.
http://www.chtopping.com/mustang.html
Old 06-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Summer Driver

ORIGINAL: Summer Driver

I'm thinking of purchasing a 'full' s.s. brake line kit but I am assuming that since I'm installing a different master cylinder, I should not buy the kit for the 65 but rather some other year.(?)
Thanks for the references Soaring but the Granada Disk swap is out (It's got 14" styled wheels) and the CH Topping info doesn't quite get me where I want to go. I really am looking to do the least amount of 'cobbling' so the whole job doesn't look bad. Since the lines need to be replaced (front to back) anyway, I would think that getting a different year brake line set would make my life easier?

Thanks again,
Bob
Old 06-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I don't know of another year that exactly fits this application. Remember, you are upgrading the jelly jar to a dual master cylinder, so modifications have to take place. If you can't use a flaring tool, then do some measuring from the T block to the master cylinder, then add a few inches. Get the 3/16 inch lines. You can always bend the tubes to make them work, but if it is too short, then you are SOL. Take those measurements to a parts dealer, and buy the lines that have already been flared and the adapters have been added. That would be your easiest way out without too much work on your part.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Summer Driver

Thanks again Soaring. It looks like I'll be ordering the S.S. Lines and doing what needs to be done. I guess I was (am) looking for the easiest way out since I'll be working at a shop in the evening where if the job is not completed, the car will end up sitting outside (I'd rather have it at home!).
Old 06-22-2005, 02:35 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Ok, and I understand the easy way out thing. But, sometimes with modernizing an old Mustang, they just simply is not an easy way out. You have to fabricate and make it fit. But, this upgrade is not all that hard. You don't even need stainless steel lines. Think about how old the original lines are. Are you going to live long enough to warrant SS lines?