Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

intake installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

Default intake installation problems

hey everyone im re installing my stock intake manifold and im running into a lot of issues. number one, what seal or seal's should I use. Number two what is the full prsedure on doing this, ive heard many ways and I tried doing it today and I basically had an epic fail. I couldnet keep the gaskets in place and the seal some guy at the store told me to use was orange and made a huge mess, plus it was silicone and i thought that you werent suppose to use that. I need help!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Se4mus1
Hey everyone, I'm re installing my stock intake manifold and I'm running into a lot of issues. number one, what seal or seal's should I use. Number two what is the full procedure on doing this, I've heard many ways and I tried doing it today and I basically had an epic fail. I couldn't keep the gaskets in place and the seal some guy at the store told me to use was orange and made a huge mess, plus it was silicone and I thought that you weren't suppose to use that. I need help!
I use Permatex aviation sealant on the manifold to head gaskets, and on the front and rear galley seals, and especially the corners when they meet.

Some people have so much trouble with the end seals they don't use them, they just use a thick ribbon of silicone sealant. This is not just a Ford thing, if you look closely at the stuff you have you'll see it's Chevy orange. The sealing surfaces have to be absolutely clear of oil, grease, or dirt.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

so do I need Hi temp or will any silicone sealant work? also how long do you let the sealent dry before atatching the gasket?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

let your sealant set up at least 15 min. go to homedepot or lowes and get four long bolts (4-5"), i believe the manifold bolts are 3/8", but I might be wrong. cut the head of the bolt off. now install them at each of the four corners where the manifold bolts would normally bolt, hand tight. install your manifold using those bolt shafts as guides. this will let you drop your manifold straight down without moving all over the place and making a mess. once in place, simply remove the bolt shafts.

- Any parts store has an intake manifold gasket set.
- put a thin coat of sealant around the water jackets located at each end of the gasket, both sides
- the small metal looking gaskets are for the cross-over at the center of the manifold gaskets.
- the galley gaskets usually require a gasket adhesive (rubber cement) to hold them in place. Most people bypass these gaskets and just use silicone. if you use the cork galley gasket, be sure to put sealant at the ends where it meets the head gasket. if you use just silicone, make sure the bead is at least 3/8" tall.
- use this link for your torque sequence
http://dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/Manifolds.htm - notice how you tighten the bolts evenly, side to side, working from the center outward.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:47 PM
JamesW

http://www.mustangsteve.com/intake.html