Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

PLEASE HELP: How to hog ring inside of front bucket seats on a 66?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

Default PLEASE HELP: How to hog ring inside of front bucket seats on a 66?

So last night I tore down one of my front buckets on my 66 to reupholster it and cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the hog ring all the way through the wire listing in the upholstery sleeve, through 1/4 inch of new seat foam, and through the cording on the frame. It just doesn't seem possible! The hog ring itself is only about 1/4 inch deep. Do I need to cut the foam to completely separate the inner portion of the foam from the outer portion? Any tips would be great because I'm getting worried I'm going to have to shell out the dough to have a pro do it...
Old 04-14-2010, 06:08 PM
ky70

Default it can be done

We just started the same project today. Not fun. I did find one great piece of advice online. Use a coat hanger or other wire on the opposite side of the foam. Then you hog ring the seat covers to the wires on both sides of the foam. When you have that secured then you hog ring the foam and cover onto the springs/frame. So it is a two step process instead of trying to go through all those layers with one ring. Which does not seem to be possible. By using this process, we have finished the drivers bottom of the seat. It looks great. We are just starting the top of the seat and it seems a little harder. Ours is a 70 with the high bucket seats. I checked with a local shop and they were going to charge $150 to put on the covers and foam (which we would supply). It sounded high until we actually started doing it ourself. Now that sounds REAL resonable. Good luck, and wish me the same.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You do the inner portion first, with the outer portion rolled up in the center. Pust the list downward through the slot in the foam and attach. Then roll the bolsters down and do the outside edge. Builds callouses and character.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM
cookstang

Just finished the seat on our 65. Took an hour and some swear words I didn't know I knew to figure it out. Not an expert, but here's what worked for me.

Turn the seat cover inside out. Put the listing wire in the seat cover. Line up the foam on the frame. Choose your spots for the hog rings ( I went about every three inches). It helps to pick the spots in between the hog rings that are holding the wire to the seat frame so there is more give. Use a razor blade to cut a slot in the bottom of the groove in the foam. Cut the slot across the groove, not with the groove, just wide enough for the hog ring to go through. Repeat for each of the hog rings you will use. Line up the seat cover with the listing wire in the seat foam groove. GO FROM THE TOP OF THE SEAT NOT FROM UNDERNEATH. Use your hog ring pliers to grab the seat cover with the listing wire and push down through the foam to the under wire and crimp. It helped to have a second person push down to compress the foam. Repeat for each of your marked spots. Once you have put the inner hog rings on, you can stretch the seat cover over the top of the foam. Total PITA but worth the effort when done. Hope this helps.