Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Please help change the course of my life...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:27 PM
us2b6DeletedUser

Default Please help change the course of my life...

I have a 65 mustang convertible that I took from a tub to a trophy attaining scooter over the course of a year and a half. It runs very well but I cannot find contentment with the 200cid 6 cyl that currently inhabits my engine compartment. Am contemplating picking up a 87-93 GT, extracting the power plant, going thru it and giving it a new home in the '65. Is this foolish? I'm not worried about ruining value of a 6 cyl car; it seems to suck all by itself. I realize we're talking about frame reinforcement, new front end, rear end, drive train, wheels, brakes, ect... People have gotten divorced over less. Wife approves because she loves the car. It was her father's. What do the experts think? Is this a ton of fun in the end, or a life ruining project I'll never recover from?

[IMG]local://upfiles/20158/B4434158A0C84F62B007AA67C8C552AF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default Two thumbs up

Absolutely go V8!!!!!!!!!!!! but do all the little stuff first.

There is so much you can do "one project at a time" in making your car really incredible to drive.
Most of which you can do while driving the car, and will make the 6 cylinder much more pleasant to drive.
The suspension, brakes and steering will make a huge difference in the driveability factor. Either a nice 5 speed or an AOD will pep the 6 cylinder up while you're working on the V8.
Then a bitchin' little V8 to top off all the work.

My ideal way to do the upgrade is:

1). A/C who wants to drive in the heat
2). Transmission. Biggest change in the driveability (cost me $160.00 extra not to wait for the V8 and is the best $160.00 spent!)
3). Power Disc Brakes, Front suspension and steering
4). Posi rear and disc brakes
5). Sub frame connectors
6). Wheels and tires
7). Fuel injected 302 based engine (as nasty or tame as you like)
8). Stereo and Nav system

At the end of each mini-project you'll be able to drive a drastically improved car. So you basically have a new car to fall in love with again 8 different times. None of the mini-projects should take more than two weekends of off the road time. And while you are doing one project you can be planning and buying parts for the next project. At the end of each project you'll have time to work out any bugs and polish up the conversion before moving on to the next step.

This is how my '66 convertible is coming along. I did the A/C and transmission back to back, because the transmission was done in one day (sans the driveshaft).
I'm enjoying the relaxed pace, and the positive reinforcement I get at each step. Much more fun then all my past build from scratch projects.

As for value, it's kind of like the Mastercard comercial:

cost of a "good" 6 Cylinder convertible $13,000.00
Cost of upgrading to 90's technology $15,000.00
Look on your faces as you cruise down the road...Priceless!!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Two thumbs up

nice points on the mini projects.

getting a carburated V8 might keep its "classic car value" a little more than a modern fuel injected engine.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:38 AM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Two thumbs up

Did you go concours parts when you re-did the car??? The only reason I ask is because you said it's a trophy winner, so I'm just curious which class??? I'll give my reply when you answer these, because it will help with the decision.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
us2b6DeletedUser

Default RE: Please help change the course of my life...

I had a good number of missing parts when I acquired this basket case. I worked almost exclusively with a shop called the mustang corral locally. Whenever an original part was available new, that trumped an original used. Only when an original ford part was unavailable did I stray to aftermarket or reproduction. I did it all, and I did it as well as I thought it could be done. It was consequently very slowly accomplished. No one interested in a "numbers matching" car would be interested. I'm fairly sure my father in law collected a 66 engine and transmission due to the crank bearings. He believed it was a more durable set up. I'm so at a loss for what to do I even priced brand-new convertibles today. I just want something with a little more ***. The responses are greatly appreciated! I can't thank you enough, brothers... I'm leaning toward building it into a late-model feeling, vintage looking, *** kicker.

Lance
Old 08-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Please help change the course of my life...

You will have so much fun!!!

Everything you do now will pay dividends in the way the car drives. I'm very confident you can get it at least as good as an early 90's car. Heck just the T5 in mine was an amazing improvement.

The other very cool thing is that you don't have to do anything that can't be undone. Even welded in subframes can be removed and the welds ground off to look like they were never there. Everything else is bolt in replacement.

If you want to maintain a stock appearance, you can get reinforced upper and lower A arms from Maier racing. Look like stock only better, and the roller perches from Cobra racing or Opentracker, really make a nice diference.

Doing this is one of the truly win-win deals.

When you get a plan on what and how you want to do it. We want to hear what you are going to do. Might help the rest of us that are doing the same thing.

Good luck, and have fun!