Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My Accelerator Pump is a turtle and I want a hare

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i re-attached your picture. what I dottet yellow is the accellerator pump rod.

just to be sure when you open the throttle quickly, does the rod move the same rate as throttle position (fixed link), or does the rod move with a visual delay
Attached Thumbnails My Accelerator Pump is a turtle and I want a hare-linkage.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

The rod is not directly attached to the throttle. The throttle is attached to one end of the spring, circled in red in the original attachement, and the accelerator rod is attached to the other end. There is a slight delay due to the "springiness" of the connection, and the movement of the accelerator rod seems too slow to me. But, I don't know how fast it should move. I am really just basing my statement of "too slow" on the fact that the car hesitates when accelerating from a stop.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lumbergh
I am really just basing my statement of "too slow" on the fact that the car hesitates when accelerating from a stop.
There are two settings on the pump, and 3 or 4 on the throttle shaft. Should be more than enough, if the accel setting is the problem.

The spring is not in kits, and is actually quite strong. All it does is prevent bending the accel pump linkage when you stomp on the gas. Even if you could get a new spring, you really don't want to do what it takes to remove it. Really.

Several things could cause this hesitation. Ignition timing, vacuum advance setup, weak spark, and obstruction in the accel pump circuit all come to mind.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

well we have that clarified:
The rod is not directly attached to the throttle, so the accellerator pump should go exactly with throttle positionm, there's no delay or slowness in there. just as 2+2 said, maybe just adjusting.
you should look into what 2+2 said, forget about the spring, the spring has nothing to do with your accellerator pump. i'd check on the ignition first (timing)
Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice. I will pull a spark plug and see if it has a story to tell. Then check the timing. I think I am running a bit rich right now, but it does seem to idle fine. It runs strong after the initial hesitation, so I don't think vacuum advance is a problem (switched to Pertronix ignition, so centrifugal advance shouldn't be a problem). I did just replace the original fuel tank, fuel sending unit, and fuel filter, and while it was hard to see anything in the tank itself, the old fuel sending unit was quite ugly. So, I will see if there is something gumming up the works on the accelerator pump and/or carb. Thanks again.