Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'66 Mustang Project Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Fishrmn703

Default '66 Mustang Project Advice

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post, so I hope I have posted in the right place. I have recently purchased a ’66 Mustang Coupe that has been partially restored/modified. Since this is my first leap into First Generation Mustangs, I have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

1.) How do I determine what type/model/year 302 engine I have? Serial # or ?

2.) I know that ’66 is not exactly a new car, but it seem to be quite Squeaky/Creaky. Is this normal? I think the bushings are dry, and I don’t think a firewall is installed yet. Does anyone else have this problem or know what it could be?

3.)The previous owner started the restoration but did not finish. From what I can tell, the engine is a 302, probably stock heads, Edelbrock Pro Flow EFI, 9” locking rear end with freeway gears, and Headers. Interior hasn’t been touched. So in addition to completing the interior I would like to finish the engine off as well. I would ultimately like the motor to push 350+ horsepower. Can anyone recommend a Head/CAM combo?

4.) Any good website recommendations, as I will most likely do the work myself – and this too is new to me : )

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

1.) How do I determine what type/model/year 302 engine I have? Serial # or ?

You need to look at the casting codes on the engine block. It's barely visible above the starter.
http://mustangtek.com/block/images/C8OE-6015-A_26.jpg

2.) I know that ’66 is not exactly a new car, but it seem to be quite Squeaky/Creaky. Is this normal? I think the bushings are dry, and I don’t think a firewall is installed yet. Does anyone else have this problem or know what it could be?

Normal, when not maintained properly. Most of the squeaks are the upper control arm shaft. One grease fitting at each end, four total. That should cure about 90% of your squeaks.

3.)The previous owner started the restoration but did not finish. From what I can tell, the engine is a 302, probably stock heads, Edelbrock Pro Flow EFI, 9” locking rear end with freeway gears, and Headers. Interior hasn’t been touched. So in addition to completing the interior I would like to finish the engine off as well. I would ultimately like the motor to push 350+ horsepower. Can anyone recommend a Head/CAM combo?

Even the stock heads will get you into the 325-350 range with simple port-matching and cleaning bumps out of the exhaust ports. On cams, I tend to be 'old school', the C9OZ-6250-C is a hydraulic version of the 289HP cam, and was designed by the guys who designed the engine. Personally, I'm running it's daddy, the original C3OZ-6250-C 289 HP cam. Solid lifters. You could also use the C7FE-6250-A Cobra LeMans cam. That's not just advertising hype, Ford actually used it at LeMans. Strangely, it's a streetable cam.

4.) Any good website recommendations, as I will most likely do the work myself – and this too is new to me : )

You'll want to do the "Arning/Shelby" drop at some point, as described here, it'll feel like a whole different car after you do that:

Arning/Shelby Suspension Drop

You'll also want to collect catalogs. My personal favorite:
http://www.mustangbarn.com/catalog.pdf

Last edited by 2+2GT; 12-12-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Fishrmn703

Thanks for the advice. I'll take some pictures and post them. Is there a way to match up stock 302 motors to each year to see the stock HP ratings?