Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bearings to improve steering wheel parking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Default Bearings to improve steering wheel parking?

A co-worker was explaining that he was able to improve the parking-handling of his classic Mustang with some kind of real good bearings. I have a 1966 Mustang with manual steering. I don't want to go to a power steering (rob power, costly, I'm fine with the steering when moving). But I'd like for may wife to be able to park easily. Is there such a thing as an improvement to the bearings to provide easier steering when parking?

I see a ton of material on the web about improving steering on a classic Mustang. Often I'm not sure when it refers to the bearings or to some expensvie rack-and-pinion solution since I'm not all that knowledgable.

Would this be something I could have my machnic try for just a few hundred bucks?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

A careful rebuild of your stock steering gearbox, with new bearings, seals, and careful setting of the preloads, not to mention filling it with new steering grease, will make a world of difference if it's a 40 year old untouched box.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

This may be what he was referring to, a roller idler arm:
http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/idlerarm/

After install you may need a realignment to make sure the wheel returns to center after a turn.
Have you done the Shelby 1" drop? this also improves steering ease by putting the tires flatter to the ground and allowing a better range of alignment and it will need to be aligned to the shelby specs after doing. It's practically a free upgrade short of the alignment:
http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/droptemplate/

This is a good summary article of improvements you can make to the stock suspension and gives you a little more insight on design:
http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/droptemplate/
Jon
Old 03-19-2012, 04:22 PM
topher_csr
1st Gear Member

has anyone tried the roller idler arm? it makes sense, but is a little pricey, i wonder how much of a difference it would make? I have a 65 with a manual rack, and dont mind it at speed, but it is a pain at low speeds.