Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our First Stang, and plans for enjoyable driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 AM
steveseymore

Default Our First Stang, and plans for enjoyable driving

Well, through some not so shrewd trade negotiations I am now the owner of a 65 coupe I6. The previous owner drove it multiple times a week, which coupled with a no rust frame and clean interior convinced me to try out vintage ownership. I fully expected multiple misc items that needed attention, especially since the brakes could barely hold it still when in gear. I went through all 4 brakes which had nearly new pads, but frozen adjusters and got it somewhat stopping. I guess ignorance is bliss, and the PO never looked at the rotting/crumbling bushings and brake lines. As for myself, it's not fun to drive since I worry about stuffing it in a ditch or the car in front the whole time - which is why I need help.

I've been searching old posts for weeks while trying to decide what my actual goals with the car will be. First is stopping safely. While I understand that drums can be made to stop well, I don't think I want to spend hundreds of dollars replacing drum parts and end up with less than spectacular performance. I've yet to find a post where someone wasn't happy with their disc swap and they always advise to do the same and not look back.

So here is where we start down the money slope... I think the following would make the car enjoyable to drive and open the door for motor/trans(T5 would make it a DD) updates in the future:
Spindle Update To make KH brakes possible
KH Brake Kit The Frankenstein kits aren't that much cheaper
Front Susp Kit Buying bushings and other parts separately doesn't seem to save $
(Shelby Drop) No convincing needed, I'm an avid autocrosser
Shocks Current ones look really old, and again, rotted bushings @ front top
Rear Axle Long term - lots of options

Does this sound like a sane plan to make it a safe, fun occasional driver? Doing it this way also makes it mostly bolting on new parts instead of dealing with reclaimed items, so the work shouldn't be terrible. I am a little concerned about possibly shoving $2K or more in parts into a I6 coupe that needs paint, but the updates should give us a several years of enjoyment.

Although there are a million questions, I would start with:
- Lots of technical threads about spindles, but where do most people get their V8 spindles?
- Is the KH kit the best fitting and performing setup in the $700 range?
- Am I correct in just buying the suspension kit (just missed CJ Pony sale for $80 off)?

I must say thanks to all on the site, there is a ton of info in the archives. Comments?

Thanks, Steve
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

If locating spindles is an issue, contact Dennis at CSRP and I believe he sells a kit that includes spindles for under $700. Won't be the KH setup though. He may also be able to get you the V8 spindles to run his KH swap though. You're definitely following the correct path though by addressing brakes and suspension first, before trying to add more power. Best of luck.

Fred
Old 08-03-2012, 04:55 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

+1 for DeviousFred's comments. Make it safe, reliable...then fast!
Welcome to a fun community.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:47 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The factory disc won't bolt on to the inline 6 spindles you need the v8 spindles for them.But discbrakeswap.com has a kit for the inline 6 it comes with spindles he designed with no bump steer the brakes are ford granada so its not a mix match set up.The only down side is to have disc right you gotta change the car over to 5 lug the front is easy,The rear you could have the drums and axles drilled to the 5 lug pattern.Or if you want to do a v8 swap later on get a 8 inch rear end for it.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:00 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I vote yes on your original plan with the kh brakes. It sounds like you have done your reading to me
Old 08-04-2012, 04:38 PM
steveseymore

CSRP was one of the kits I was thinking of. The search engines for used parts all go by vehicle fit, not part number. Although the spindles seem very reasonable from these sources, I'm just not sure they're going to send me the actual correct p/n. Maybe I'll call the brake guys, they must get this a lot.

Thanks, Steve