General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BIG Transmission or Clutch Problems *DONT USE SPEC*

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 06:43 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: BIG Transmission or Clutch Problems *DONT USE SPEC*

OK the clutch was bad. The pressure plate was warped. On one half the wear is spotty and very uneven, on the other half the wear is even and looks normal. The throw out bearing did normal wear on the fingers and aside from the really bad warp to the pressure plate there wasnt much else (Visually) wrong with the clutch.

The Ram clutch feels great, I never thought i could get such response and comfort out of a clutch, it doesnt vibrate the **** out of the floor, it doesnt vibrate the pedel, it doesnt make noises, it doesnt slip ITS A DAMNED GOOD ****ING CLUTCH IF I DO SAY[8D][8D]

We checked my tranny out, not a damn thing wrong with it. I am very lucky on that part that there is nothing wrong with it.

And as for not breaking it in properly, **** OFF! I Broke that ****ing clutch in for the first ****ing 500 miles, I was soft and easy on it, never shifted abouve 2000rpms... I DROVE LIKE A GRANDMA TO BREAK IT IN CORRECTLY! So dont ****ing sit there and tell me that I didnt break it in properly, that just pisses me the **** off, ESPECIALLY when you call me a Damned Pissy Kid jumping to conclusions, oh what am I suppose to do? Say "Well whatever it is will happen when it happens." NO I dont think so, figure out what the hell it is first off! And for your information, Ray told me to break it in when he delivered it to me, he said that it felt like it was warped and wanted me to see if it would get better with breaking it in. SPEC said 400 miles, I made it 500 just to see.... I have about 3000 miles on that clutch. It never got better, and infact it got worse. The reason why I had to wait so long was because I didnt have the money at the time, When I did get the money I ordered the RAM parts, it took about 8 days to get all the parts. But mind you, I only had that clutch in the car for about a month and a half, I do alot of driving because of the nature of my work.

And if you would do a little reading before nailing me for bitching about them you might have found my post several days ago ( https://mustangforums.com/tm.asp?m=98792 ) Read that. Im pissed off at their customer service, not their clutches. Infact I want to buy another Spec Clutch eventually for another Mustang. But they really need to work on their Customer Service.

If you dont believe me about the wear on the pressure plate then dont worry, im going to post pictures of the damage. Im taking pictures anyways because I dont want to send the clutch in and have them say that there isnt anything wrong with it and the wear on it is even.... Because that wear is very UNEVEN, pictures dont lie and I will have more foundation to my claims with those pictures. Clutch House has already written me a damage report on it to help aid me get my price back for the clutch and the $240 instal cost. Thats All I want back.

Thats about all I have to say. And again, I dont like being told that I did something wrong when I know damn well that I didnt. Jeep I repsect your opinion, but in this case you shouldnt have even said what you said about me not breaking it in properly and being a pissy kid jumping to conclusions, It would seem to me that your a grumpy old man jumping to conclusions. I dont need to be flamed on my own thread when I was just asking what you guys thought about it, and I dont need to be discredited either when its completly wrong and unguided.

-Neo-
Old 02-20-2004, 06:56 AM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

"My Clutch thats in it is a Stage III Spec Clutch.... The owner at Clutch House ( Raymond ) thought it might be warped, he asked me to break it in 500 miles and bring it back, if the vibration didnt stop then it was warped.... Well the vibration never stopped and my pedel hopped like crazy"

Choose your wording more carefully then, this definately implies an incident after the fact, which also implies it wasn't broken in in the first place.

Another thing is that your single experience could have been due to a single, minute wrongly installed (or missing part), or the clutch could have been barely not-so-perfect. Don't knock SPEC (they make great clutches) for an incident that's rare as hell, lemons happen (hell, in everything from fridges to whole cars!).

Good luck getting your cash back, I'm gonna be suprised if it happens. Companies like this (meaning big companies) tend to **** you off and deny you so much that just give up your claim. I've been there.....
Old 02-20-2004, 03:17 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yar, thats what they did to me from the get go when I started talking to them about it being defective and asking about a replacment. Dave said "We dont like to be accused of selling defective clutches just like Clutch House doesnt like being accused of installing a clutch poorly" And im like "Ok, where did that come from..." He started saying that Clutch House most likly installed it incorrectly... I dont know, the fact is that the pressure plate is warped, and was warped from the get go, it cant just happen. The proof is there and if they give me crap im not going to give up on it. It may cost me more time then the money is worth, but damnit thats just bad business practices.... Next time im talking to Pete damnit, Josh over at Stangsuspension told me to talk to him and no one else because he knows the clutch best and would help me the most.... The last several times i called I got stuck with Dave[:@]

Anyways im going to try to get my money back. As for the parts, they were all there. And Im still lovin my new clutch. I would love to feel what a properly working SPEC clutch feels like. I would have to say the Spec had the most comfertable clutch tension, it was incredibly light, you could probably disingage the clutch with a blow of wind, it kinda got stiffer as time went on but still nice and easy to push in. The Ram is hard to push in but has great shifts, it just kinda wears your leg out sitting at a 5 minute light with the clutch pushed in.... I dont like to put it in Neutral at a light, just kinda weird to me for some reason.

Anyways, Sorry for jumping your *** earlier Jeep, its just a touchy subject.

-Neo-
Old 02-20-2004, 07:15 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

It's all good. Just realize that I went through this with a TRANSMISSION when I was in high school, going off the claims of Phantom Grip. Much bigger pickle, by a grand easily (using used parts!)