General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Went to take fix some scratches on my stang and screwed up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 PM
SinisterStang666

Default Went to take fix some scratches on my stang and screwed up!

Hey guys, I had about 2 scratches near my front passenger side of my stang. I had this "Turtle Wax" scratch remover/blemish compound that I used. I used a buffer as recommended and removed the scratches, but, due to my inexperience with the Buffer, I guess I held it too long in one spot and faded the paint to a grayish tone, about the size of a quarter. So I removed the scratches but now have this litte ugly gray spot (im **** about that so it drove me crazy). So I went to Advancedautoparts and got the UA black paint and clear coat little brush paint. I just put some of the black paint on, but, its all grainy and like has a texture to it. In other words, it is ugly and rough and not smooth. Should I use the buffer again too smooth it out? Or will the clear coat even it up? What the heck should I do ? alright thanks guys.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 PM
joestang02
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Went to take fix some scratches on my stang and screwed up!

yeah you screwed up. lol why did you put black paint over the burn spot? clear coat in a brush isnt going to cover up anything, it will just make it look messy. If i were you i would sand a square foot (12" x 12") section making sure you tape off a nice square with 3m tape. Color blending is not easy with unexperienced person. try went sand with 400 grit or whatever you need until the surface is smooth. Then if you know someone with a spray gun spray the section base/clear then wet sand the clear and buff it out. If you dont know anything about body work dont bother..Maybe someone will have a better idea but this is the cheapest / most clean way i would do it if it was me. Paying a autobody man will charge you like $300

You could also put a emblem over the spot and match it on the other side of the car.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:31 PM
351foxstang
3rd Gear Member

you burnt through the clear coat into the base. take it to a body shop to respray the panel. only way to fix it properly.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

See, the interesting thing is, people can look right over little scratches, except for the owner. Usually, scratches don't show up from certain angles, the sameway that when you paint a bedroom and miss a spot, from certain angles you can't tell. Problem is, when you start using off the shelf cover up kits, like Scratch-X (?) or those paints, you end up risking making the problem worse as in your case, or making the area stand out. By using those kits, the paint is changed a bit, so it doesn't blend as nicely, and so the eye is able to pick that up easier, because the sunlight is heavily changed and shadows appear that the eye can notice.

I find, if I HAVE to use make up paints, I use a model car kit, with an airbrush. Unlike the brushes that come attached to the lid of most paint kits, air brushes look a bit more natural, but even then, don't look near as normal or professional. My opinion is, cover up paints work best for car models. Perhaps someone in the detailing forums area would be more help, but honestly, I'm in agreement with those above, you've already done enough (I don't mean to sound rude so don't take it that way), but I'm sure it would look much nicer and be much safer to just let a professional handle it. Forking out the money might make you shudder, but it really shouldn't be terribly expensive, and if you're seriously that **** about the paint, you'll feel a lot better.