General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cool Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Boneyard

Default Cool Issues

I put this post here since this question is not about a mustang or a ford even, BUT i do have some serious issues with the cooling system in my truck that have got me stumped.

My temp started going up to 280 very quick in the mornings then dropping back to normal with in seconds. When the temp drops I can hear a water hammer sound shoot thru the heater core. I just replaced the intake gaskets due to oil leaks and a new thermostat was put in, timing reset, and still just at idle the temp will go up to 240 and drop back down to 190. A friend told me to run the engine with the radiator cap off for 30 minutes to burp the system. So I did that and while I was doing it I could tell I had excellant flow but as the temp would rise up to 240 the coolant would overflow out the top and as the temp cooled back down the level in the radiator would drop all the way down. After filling the system back up and rad cap back on the engine dip the same thing still but I did notice the hoses would be pressurized when the temp was 240 and soft when the temp hit 190.

What are some opinions on what is going on??? If somebody said "try and shove a chicken in the tail pipe" I would most likely try it right now so ANY ideas and comments are welcome.

Thank you all in advance!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:47 PM
88Mach1
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cool Issues

um...try and shove a chicken in the tail pipe. works every time
Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Boneyard

Fresh out of chickens from making a chicken pot pie [sm=oopssign.gif]
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Cryptostorm
2nd Gear Member

take it in, and get it flushed...

you can buy the kit to do it yourself... you basically take a hose off, and put a rubber piece in that a garden hose plugs into...

Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Boneyard

Actually taking the radiator out tomorrow and taking it in to be checked. After that the only thing I can think of is taking the thermostat out and running it to see if I still have over heating issues.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 AM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a sticking thermostat or, hate to imply it, but a thermostat installed backwards. Try it without the thermo like you said and see if it goes away. If so I would go ahead and get a new thermo just in case (they're cheap enough) and make sure it goes in right.

God bless,

-BunnMan
Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Boneyard

Took the radiator out today and had it tested and nothing wrong. Good flow and held 25psi. Didn't get the thing back in today because I started a simple transmission fluid drain/replace filter and its now on 5 hours trans fluid on my face, along with the rain, and the busted exhaust coupling bolts, and a new %&$@# filter that is the wrong one. AndIthought hanging xmas lights was going to be a pain. LOL!

But as far as the rad I will be putting it back in tomorrow morning and I think I will be taking the thermo out completely and seeing if thatdoes any good.