General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Both Outside Door Handles Broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default Help! Both Outside Door Handles Broke

I have a door problem ive never had to deal with before.

For the last 2 days ive been having trouble opening the drivers door with the inside handle. Even when the door was unlocked it wouldnt open. The handle had a good bit of resistance to it. I had to use a bit of force just to get the door open.

While i had it open, i tiried the power button but it didnt lock. I think i heard the motor but im not sure. The pass. door locked no problem.

I was able to lock the drivers door with the key but when i tried to unlock it with the power button it didnt unlock. I tried to unlock it with the key and there was a good bit of resistenace (key is fine BTW). I looked at the fingers on the back of the door and nothing was out of place. I manualy closed them and tried the outside handle. The fingers didnt move. I opened them up and closed the door and it sounded like any other time. I tried to open the door and the handle breaks, i think where it grabs the rod inside. The outside handle is still plastic and factory original. Both sides are.

So i get in thru the pass. side. I tried the inside drivers handle and sure enough, the door wouldnt open (didnt expect it to). So i gave up on the drivers door. I try the power button to see if the pass. side works. It works like new. I try to unlock-lock-unlock it with the key and it works perfect. I close the door. I went back to get my gloves out of the car and guess what, the handle breaks! So now i have two doors i cant open and im cussing up a storm. A Jimmy was of no help what-so-ever.

Im still not sure whats up with the drivers door but i know for sure the outside pass. handle is toast. My thoughts are that a rod in the drivers door stuck/came undone or the motor stuck, and the pass. side handle simply broke.

So my question is this...how do i take care of this on my own? I will not take it to a shop to have the drivers door removed. I know i can handle this myself, i just need to know what to do and how.

As for the handles, im buying metal ones. Also, ive been thinking about manual locks and removing the motors. Could my lock motor played a part in all this?

Any help is welcome.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Both Outside Door Handles Broke

This is for a 93.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

get the star wrench for the door striker
post, mark the post location, losten it
1/2 turn or so and move it to a new location.
You will find that one location will get the
door to open nicely. Tighten it down.

You need a new key (from ford)

lock can be worn out also.

check wireing on the door lock.

Go to ebay to buy a set (blue oval) of
door handles STEEL. 10 minute
install.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

most likely the reason that you were havin a hard time opening from the inside is just the interior lock. it sometimes gets beneath the interior door panel and wont pop through the hole. it could seriously be that simple. i had the same problem and couldnt open my door, looked over and there it was. check that for sure, go through the hatch if you have to but im telling you that could be it
Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: corvetteguy

get the star wrench for the door striker
post, mark the post location, losten it
1/2 turn or so and move it to a new location.
You will find that one location will get the
door to open nicely. Tighten it down.

You need a new key (from ford)

lock can be worn out also.

check wireing on the door lock.

Go to ebay to buy a set (blue oval) of
door handles STEEL. 10 minute
install.
Id have to remove the door to get to the striker. As it sits right now the door is shut and when its shut the fingers that fold over the striker close over it. Id have to somehow get those fingers to open back up so they disengage from the striker just so i can to get the striker. I doubt the key is the problem as the lock worked one day and the next it simply didnt just out of the blue. Im definitely getting metal handles tho.

ORIGINAL: onesickstang01

most likely the reason that you were havin a hard time opening from the inside is just the interior lock. it sometimes gets beneath the interior door panel and wont pop through the hole. it could seriously be that simple. i had the same problem and couldnt open my door, looked over and there it was. check that for sure, go through the hatch if you have to but im telling you that could be it
If youre talking about the post poking thru the top of the inner panel, its in the up position and thru the panel so its ok. Its stuck in the up position.

As for going thru the hatch, id have to just to get the drivers door panel off which i know wont be easy.

Im still looking for ideas.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Thanks a bunch for the help but my baby mustve had the shivers last night. Went to go over the doors this morning and the it decided to work no problem. The handle seemed fine, the power button locked and unlocked flawlessly, the inside handle still felt a little stiff but the door opened. The key locked and unlocked fine.

Tried the pass. side. Door wouldnt open. Handle wobbled real bad and was sitting crooked. Opened the door from the drivers side and took the pass. panel off and took a look inside. Nothing broken and i could work the locks including the key no problem. I inspected the handle and the bushing on the little 'ear' of the handle is still there. So i inspect the outside and the little spring on the end isnt doing anything but hanging there. I can still use the handle if i mess with it but its getting replaced with a steel piece regardless. So is the drivers.

So far the drivers door works. Shot the latches with lube just to be sure. Guess i have to go to work today afterall. Yay! Not!